Not accepting applications.
The On-Farm Value-Added Grant Program supports primary producers in adding value to their agricultural products to grow sales, expand production capacity, explore market opportunities and create jobs in Alberta.
The program has 2 streams:
- On-Farm Value-Added Stream A: (maximum grant $50,000) applications are assessed based on eligibility criteria
- On-Farm Value-Added Stream B: (grant over $50,000 to maximum grant $250,000) applications are assessed based on eligibility criteria and merit scoring.
The stream will be determined by the program area, based on review of the budget sheet for eligible expenses and activities.
Eligible capital expenses: will be cost-shared at 25% grant and 75% applicant.
Eligible non-capital expenses: will be cost-shared at 50% grant and 50% applicant up to a maximum total amount of $50,000. The $50,000 maximum includes a $5,000 maximum for travel expenses.
For more information, see On-Farm Value Added Program Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- be a primary producer
- be an individual or a corporation registered in Alberta that is operating in Alberta, or that can establish to the satisfaction of the minister that it will operate in Alberta
- be responsible for input costs for crops, bees or livestock
- produce at least $25,000 worth of commercial agriculture production annually
- not be a landlord whose only interest in the crop, bee, cattle operation is ownership of the land
- be adding value past harvest or slaughter of the agricultural product
The province is committed to supporting the success of Indigenous businesses in the agriculture and food sector. We understand that Indigenous businesses may have distinct characteristics reflective of regulatory, operational, cultural, and other factors affecting their business history and operation. We aim for flexibility in our programs. If you are interested in applying for the program but have questions about the application process or eligibility requirements, contact program staff at
Applicants can apply for activities under one or more of these funding categories:
- processing capacity expansion
- food safety improvement
- new product and process development
- market development and access
For more information: On-Farm Value-Added Program Funding List.
How to apply
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Determine if you are eligible by reviewing the On-Farm Value-Added Program Terms and Conditions.
Confirm that your proposed activities are eligible activities listed in the Funding List.
Complete all sections of the application form. If you have questions on eligibility or program criteria, e-mail [email protected] and a grant specialist will assist you provide support.
Step 2: Complete application form
Complete and sign the On-Farm Value-Added Program Application form.
Please read ‘Part F: Certification’ carefully before you sign. Note that only original signatures will be accepted (electronic or digital signatures are not acceptable).
Step 3: Submit application form
Submit the completed Application Form and supporting documents by 11:59 pm MST on May 15, 2023:
Send PDF applications only to: [email protected]
On-Farm Value-Added Program, Sustainable CAP
Trade, Investment and Food Safety Division
Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation
Suite 301, 7000 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5T6
What happens next
Once you have submitted your application and documentation, you may be contacted for additional information.
Total processing time objective is up to 23 weeks from the program closing date to receiving notification of a decision on project support.
- OFVAP Program Terms and Conditions
- OFVAP Funding List
- OFVAP Sample Approval Letter
- OFVAP Sample Approval Letter Grant Terms
- OFVAP Sample Grant Agreement
- Travel Expense Policy
- Ministerial Grants Regulation
Connect with the On-Farm Value-Added Program team:
Sign up for updates
Enter your email address to receive program updates and the e-newsletter.