Accepting applications: April 3, 2023
The Efficient Grain Handling Program assists primary producers with reducing the overall energy use on their farms. The program supports the purchase of grain handling system components that significantly improve energy efficiency over standard practices.
Eligible expenses will be cost-shared at 50% grant and 50% applicant.
An applicant must:
- be a Primary Producer
- be responsible for input costs for a crop, bee, or livestock operation that produces at least $25,000 worth of farm commodities annually
- not be a landlord whose only interest in a crop, bee, or livestock operation is ownership of the land, and
- have a valid and current Alberta Environmental Farm Plan (EFP) certificate or completion letter, or
- submit a copy of an EFP letter of completion or certificate with the Reimbursement Claim Form
Note: The EFP program has implemented a 10-year renewal starting 2018. Therefore, an EFP completed more than 10 years before your application date will not be considered valid. To get a new EFP, or renew an existing one, visit Alberta Environmental Farm Plan.
The cost of grain handling system components that significantly improve energy efficiency above standard configuration are eligible under the program. These components can be factory options on new equipment or retrofits installed on existing equipment. The minister must be satisfied that the applicant’s components offer significant energy efficiency improvements.
Installation and labour costs are not ineligible except as part of an eligible pipeline-to-grain-dryer project.
For details, refer to the Efficient Grain Handling Program Funding List (PDF, 430 KB)
Important: program funding is 50% of eligible expenses. The minimum grant is $500; the maximum grant is $100,000.
If you are interested in applying for an item that is not listed as eligible – and is not listed or indicated to be ineligible – call 310-FARM or email [email protected] to see if this item could be considered in an application.
Note: this Funding List is subject to change.
Before you apply
Funding is not guaranteed until your application has been approved. You may proceed at your own risk. If your application is not approved, you will not be reimbursed for any expenses associated with your project.
All expenses incurred prior to April 1, 2023 are ineligible.
- Invoices must be under the Legal Name stated on your application.
- Invoices must be dated after April 1, 2023.
- You must be able to provide proof of payment (processed cheque, credit card statement) for all invoices, and proof of payment must be under the Legal Name on your application.
- Cash payments will not be eligible unless accompanied by an official company voucher and proof of payment.
- Leased items must show that they have been paid in full by the applicant; that is, the applicant has reimbursed the financial institution that the lease is through and must show proof of this transaction.
- Barter or exchange transactions are not eligible.
- Transactions between persons related by blood, marriage, adoption, common-law relationships, or close-business ties are not eligible.
How to apply
Step 1. Check your eligibility
Determine whether you are eligible by reviewing the Efficient Grain Handling Program Terms and Conditions (PDF, 626 KB) .
Confirm that the proposed activities are eligible. Eligible activities are listed in the Funding List.
Step 2. Complete application form
Complete and sign the Efficient Grain Handling Program Application form (PDF, 414 KB).
Step 3. Submit application form
Submit the completed Application Form and supporting documents by:
Send PDF applications only to: [email protected]
Efficient Grain Handling Program, Sustainable-CAP
Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation
Suite 303, 7000 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5T6
What happens next
If you email your application: you will be notified by email reply that your application has been received.
If you mail your application: you will be notified by email. If no email is given you will receive a telephone call that your application has been received.
If your application is missing information: you will be notified via email or telephone and asked to submit the missing information.
Application processing is underway but an estimated timeline for approval is not currently available. This information will be updated as soon as it is possible. We understand the importance of your application and appreciate your patience.
- Efficient Grain Handling Program fact sheet (PDF, 417 KB)
- Efficient Grain Handling Program Funding List (PDF, 430 KB)
- Efficient Grain Handling Program Terms and Conditions (PDF, 626 KB)
- Efficient Grain Handling Program Application form (PDF, 414 KB)
- Efficient Grain Handling Program Sample Approval Letter (PDF, 492 KB)
- Efficient Grain Handling Program Sample Approval Letter Grant Terms (PDF, 501 KB)
- Efficient Grain Handling Program Sample Grant Agreement (PDF, 504 KB)
- Ministerial Grants Regulation
Connect with the Efficient Grain Handling Program team:
Sign up for updates
Enter your email address to receive program updates and the e-newsletter.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.