Applications for all Water Act licences, including renewals, and amendments must be submitted through the Digital Regulatory Assurance System (DRAS). For information on how to apply, amend and renew various Water Act licences in DRAS, refer to the knowledge articles in DRAS for Water Act application for licences.
For all Water Act licences issued, amended, or renewed in DRAS that require reporting, the licence holder must report water use data in DRAS. For information on how to report water use data in DRAS, refer to knowledge article KB0023429.
WATERS will still be active for Alberta Energy Regulator applicants.
On June 21, 2021, Alberta Environment and Protected Areas took a significant step towards streamlining its regulatory system with the new Digital Regulatory Assurance System (DRAS).
For more information on DRAS see: Digital Regulatory Assurance System.
Forms and applications
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
If you are still having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.
- Application for Approval to Drill Water Wells (PDF, 451 KB)
For all approvals and licences.
- Application for Transfer of Water Allocation (PDF, 533 KB)
- Application Plan (PDF, 12 KB)
- Detail Site Plan (PDF, 14 KB)
- Detail Site Plan (example) (PDF, 43 KB)
- Dugout Plan (PDF, 748 KB)
- Livestock Water Requirement Worksheet (DOC, 46 KB)
- Livestock Water Source Calculation Chart (DOC, 28 KB)
- List of Users Within a 1 Mile Radius of Water Source (PDF, 26 KB)
- List of Users Within a 1 Mile Radius of Water Source (DOC, 25 KB)
- Quarter Section Plan Related to Detail Site Plan (PDF, 13 KB)
- Quarter Section Plan Related to Detail Site Plan (example) (PDF, 26 KB)
- Water Act Licence Declaration (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Water Well Inventory List (DOC, 60 KB)
Codes of Practice
Application plan examples
- Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership
- Groundwater stockwatering sample plan (PDF, 92 KB)
- Surface water feedlot sample plan (PDF, 46 KB)
- Surface water stockwatering sample plan (PDF, 69 KB)
- Drainage sample plan (PDF, 57 KB)
- Fish pond sample plan (PDF, 49 KB)
- Golf course sample plan (PDF, 84 KB)
- Washing sample plan (PDF, 59 KB)
- Water bottling sample plan (PDF, 50 KB)
- Irrigation sample plan 1 (PDF, 53 KB)
- Irrigation sample plan 2 (PDF, 60 KB)
- Municipal general and detail sample plan (PDF, 66 KB)
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.