Effective November 30, 2018, Code of Practice notices are required to be submitted online in the OneStop system. For more information on the submission process, see Water - Codes of Practice.
Effective January 18, 2019, all new Water Act approvals applications and approval amendments applications are required to be submitted online in the OneStop system.
Training is being offered to assist applicants with this change. Please visit the Eventbrite website for details about upcoming training sessions.
For inquiries and technical issues regarding the Environmental Approvals System OneStop, email email@example.com.
Any person or company planning to undertake an activity that may affect the land or vegetation under or around a water body, or may affect the location, flow or quality of the water or aquatic environment, requires prior authorization and must submit a Water Act application or notice to Alberta Environment and Parks (or to the Alberta Energy Regulator in accordance with the Responsible Energy Development Act).
The department is transforming the way we administer Water Act approvals by moving to a web-based, electronic application system.
Water Act approvals applications, approval amendments applications and Code of Practice notices must now be submitted through an online process in a new Environmental Approvals System called OneStop (EAS OneStop). This new system will increase the consistency and transparency of application review and streamline communication and application requirements for applicants, which will result in a more efficient process.
For more information about this change and how to access EAS OneStop, see Environmental Approvals System OneStop.
Note: Applications for Water Act Licences are not affected by this change. Water Act Licences will continue to be submitted and reviewed through the current application process until further notice.
Forms and applications
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
- Application for Approval to Drill Water Wells (PDF, 60 KB)
For all approvals and licences.
- Application for Transfer of Water Allocation (PDF, 533 KB)
- Application Plan (PDF, 12 KB)
- Detail Site Plan (PDF, 14 KB)
- Detail Site Plan (example) (PDF, 43 KB)
- Dugout Plan (PDF, 748 KB)
- Dugout Questionnaire (DOC, 21 KB)
- Licence Declaration (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Livestock Water Requirement Worksheet (DOC, 46 KB)
- Livestock Water Source Calculation Chart (DOC, 28 KB)
- List of Users Within a 1 Mile Radius of Water Source (PDF, 26 KB)
- List of Users Within a 1 Mile Radius of Water Source (DOC, 25 KB)
- Quarter Section Plan Related to Detail Site Plan (PDF, 13 KB)
- Quarter Section Plan Related to Detail Site Plan (example) (PDF, 26 KB)
- Temporary Diversion Licence (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Water Act Application (PDF, 96 KB)
For all licences.
- Water Well Inventory List (DOC, 60 KB)
Codes of Practice
Application plan examples
- Canadian Agricultural Partnership
- Groundwater stockwatering sample plan (PDF, 92 KB)
- Surface water feedlot sample plan (PDF, 46 KB)
- Surface water stockwatering sample plan (PDF, 69 KB)
- Drainage sample plan (PDF, 57 KB)
- Fish pond sample plan (PDF, 49 KB)
- Golf course sample plan (PDF, 84 KB)
- Washing sample plan (PDF, 59 KB)
- Water bottling sample plan (PDF, 50 KB)
- Municipal general and detail sample plan (PDF, 66 KB)