The Alberta Public Service provides opportunities for students to help them develop valuable workplace skills and build a career through employment with the Alberta Public Service.
Ministries and departments offer employment opportunities that provide current students with the opportunity to:
- learn about the Alberta Public Service
- develop workplace skills
- gain career-related experience
Students can gain experience in areas such as:
- administrative support
- research, policy
- natural resources (forestry, conservation and environmental science)
- information technology
- human services
- human resources
- grounds keeping
- and more
Some examples of student employment opportunities include:
- Student summer employment
- Student summer employment opportunities typically begin in May and end in August.
- Summer students are typically hired for a period of 2 to 4 months and provide assistance or support to various types of work.
- To be eligible for student summer employment, individuals must be:
- enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary institution
- returning to academic studies in September
- Alberta Student Ministerial Internship Program, Executive Council
- Student-at-Law Program, Justice and Solicitor General
The Tips for Applying on Alberta Government Jobs (PDF, 1.1 MB) resource can help with writing a cover letter and resume for student employment opportunities.
The Alberta Public Service also partners with academic institutions that have work experience and co-operative education programs to host placements for students providing them with the opportunity to gain career related experience.
You can contact us for technical assistance and questions about jobs with the Alberta Public Service. We will make every effort to respond promptly.
If you have already applied on a job posting and have questions about your application, you can contact the Human Resources contact referenced in the job posting or Talent Acquisition Services at [email protected].
Only those inquiries that include an email address will receive a response.
The personal information collected through this form may be used for the purpose of contacting you to address your inquiry.
This personal information collection is authorized under section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.
If you have any questions about this collection of personal information, you may contact Talent Acquisition Services, Public Service Commission at [email protected].