The Justice and Solicitor General Training Academy accredits – through its review and approval process – the training programs for officers appointed under the Peace Officer Act:
- Alberta peace officers
- community peace officers
Correctional peace officers are:
- employed by the Alberta government
- trained exclusively at the Training Academy
The Training Academy accredits peace officer training programs for up to 5 years to ensure that participants:
- get the knowledge and skills they need
- take training that aligns with best practices for adult learning
- complete assessments to show what they’ve learned
The Training Academy must review your peace officer training program if it’s:
- new and has never been reviewed
- near the end of its 5-year ‘accredited’ status
- been modified since it was accredited
Get your training program reviewed
Step 1. Download the guidelines
Step 2. Prepare your program package
Read the Accreditation Guidelines document carefully. It explains how to:
- prepare the submission package for your peace officer training program
- meet the standards that are required for your program to be accredited
Step 3. Submit your program package
Send your program package to the Training Academy by using one of these methods:
- USB flash drive
- Alberta government file transfer service
The Accreditation Guidelines document explains each submission method in detail.
After you submit the package
The Training Academy will:
- Email you confirmation that your program package has been received.
- Review your program package.
- If necessary, contact you about required changes to your program. You’ll have 6 months to make the changes and resubmit your program package.
- Email you an ‘Approval’ letter for your program.
Our timeline to review your training program is based on many factors. These include how closely your program meets the standards in the Accreditation Guidelines document.
Connect with the Justice and Solicitor General Training Academy:
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.