COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
A charitable organization is defined as an organization that asks for contributions to be used for a charitable purpose or charitable organization.
A charitable purpose is defined as any purpose that is:
Who has to register
A charitable organization must be registered under the Charitable Fundraising Act if:
- it uses a fundraising business
- it intends to raise more than $25,000 in gross contributions in its financial year from solicitations (requests for contribution) to individuals in Alberta
- during or after the campaign, it finds it has raised more than $25,000
- if so, the charity must register within 45 days after the contributions reach $25,000
Any party that meets the above registration criteria must register, including:
- incorporated or unincorporated organization formed for a charitable purpose
- organization incorporated under the Societies Act or registered with Canada Revenue Agency (Revenue Canada)
- person asking for contributions to be used for a charitable purpose or charitable organization, even if that person is not connected to any charitable organization
Who does not have to register
You do not have to register your charitable organization if your organization is:
- only asking for contributions from its members or their immediate families
- only asking for goods, such as furniture for an office, not for resale, or services, such as volunteers, that will be used for its administration or other non-charitable purpose
- raising funds through raffles, pull tickets, bingos or casinos
- you must contact the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Commission for licensing information
If your organization does not need to register, you do not need to proceed further.
How to apply
You will need to provide:
- information on your organization
- a criminal record check or police information check
- a copy of your solicitation materials
- payment of a registration fee
To get started, follow the instructions below to save and open the application form.
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
Application for a Charitable Organization (PDF, 85 KB)
Registration holders must notify the Minister in writing within 30 days of a change in:
- name and address
- objectives or purpose of the charitable organization
- names and addresses of its officers and directors
- name and address of any chapters or branches that will be making solicitations under the authority of the registration
- dates when its financial year begins and ends
A registered charitable organization or licensed fundraising business must maintain complete and accurate records of all its operations in Alberta for at least 3 years after the solicitations are made.
It is your responsibility to ensure your registration is in force as long as you continue to do business. Once your registration is issued please make note of the expiry date and ensure your registration is renewed prior to this date.
Note: applicant, directors, officers and partners are required to read the Charitable Fundraising Act and its regulations associated with this registration and understand that certain sections are of significance, including but not limited to the specific sections noted below.
- Section 6 regarding providing information during solicitation
- Section 7 regarding the duty to maintain records
- Section 8 regarding financial statements
- Section 4 regarding providing information during solicitation
- Section 5 regarding records to be maintained
- Section 7 regarding the financial information return
Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Alberta Queen’s Printer.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.