Land-use Framework

The Land-use Framework (LUF) developed in 2008 was designed to manage our province's land and natural resources to achieve Alberta’s long-term economic, environmental and social goals. The LUF establishes seven new land-use regions and calls for the development of a regional plan for each.

Changing areas

In 2015, the news release Alberta strengthens environmental protections in the oil sands resulted in changes to the following areas:

Lower Athabasca

South Saskatchewan

Crown Mineral Rights cancellation and compensation

Alberta Energy sent a Notice of Intent to Cancel letter to the designated representative/lessee on record indicating which agreement(s), or portion thereof, would be cancelled. The eligible costs for compensation were indicated under the Mineral Rights Compensation Regulation.

The Application for Mineral Rights Compensation Regulation Compensation Form (XLSX, 126 KB) was required per agreement. The Statutory Declaration Form (PDF, 152 KB) was used to allow the applicant to affirm that the information in the application is accurate and directly associated with the agreement, or portion of the agreement, that is subject to cancellation. There is no cost to apply.

Note: Applications for compensation with development allowance and/or reclamation allowance expenditures will not be reviewed until the Statutory Declaration is received.

Both forms need to be sent to A confirmation is sent when the application is received.

Summary of changes to the agreements in the new conservation areas and provincial parks and provincial recreation areas:

  • No new metallic and industrial minerals, coal or ammonite tenure will be sold, for previous agreements these rights were cancelled.
  • New petroleum and natural gas tenure will be sold, but with a ‘no surface access’ restriction, for previous agreements surface access was honoured until expiry.


Connect with Alberta Energy about compensation:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Email: (or review your agreements through the Electronic Transfer System)