The Other Initiatives Program (OIP) provides financial assistance for community-based projects that fall outside the scope of all other Community Grants funding streams. This includes one-time projects, international disaster relief and projects that are emergency or urgent in nature.
Support through OIP is intended to achieve the following broad outcomes:
- support community driven goals that have a public benefit
- stimulate economic activity across the province
You must contact program staff prior to submitting an application to OIP.
OIP is not a replacement or extension of other grant programs.
For more information, read the OIP Guidelines (DOC, 93 KB).
There is no minimum or maximum funding that can be requested through OIP. The level of funding granted is based on need or the community benefit of the project and is subject to available resources.
Successful grant applicants are required to enter into a formal grant agreement.
OIP does not require matching funds.
Applicants cannot request ongoing operational or multi-year funding for a project.
Organizations can receive funding for only one project through OIP per fiscal year.
The following organizations and community non-profit organizations can apply for this program:
a registered community non-profit organization in Alberta (and in good standing) under one of these Acts:
- Societies Act
- Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act with a registration in Alberta under the Business Corporations Act*
- Part 21 of the Business Corporations Act - Extra-Provincial Corporations
- Part 9 of the Companies Act, (Nonprofit Companies)
- Special Act of the Alberta Legislature
- Income Tax Act (of Canada and operating in the Province of Alberta (Charities))
- First Nations or Métis Settlements
- foundations established and regulated under Alberta’s Regional Health Authorities Act
- universities, colleges or institutes as defined under Alberta’s Post-Secondary Learning Act
Organizations must have an Alberta address which is regularly monitored by an active member of the organization.
The following organizations are not eligible to apply for funding under OIP:
- for-profit organizations
- any other organizations not registered under one of the above mentioned Acts
- organizations that have overdue or incomplete accounting/reporting relating to any grant previously awarded by Alberta Culture and Tourism
Projects eligible for funding through OIP include:
- one-time projects or events that fall outside the criteria of all other Community Grants programs
- national and international projects (such as disaster relief)
- projects that are in response to emergencies or urgent in nature
The following projects are not eligible for funding through OIP:
- projects that have already been started prior to applying for OIP (retroactive)
- debt reduction
- operational costs
- fundraising events and related fundraising initiatives
How to apply
Contact program staff
You must contact program staff to discuss your organization and project eligibility.
Previous grant recipients
You can find previous grant recipients in the Previous Grant Recipients Database.
To connect with the Community Grants office: