- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 40+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
Public health emergency
Due to the state of public health emergency, the Alberta government is providing 3-month extension letters to any grant reporting requirements that are due March 17 to June 30, 2020, inclusive.
If you have reporting due within this time period and have not received an extension email, then email [email protected] to inquire.
Previous grant recipients
You can find previous grant recipients in the Previous Grant Recipients Database.
The Other Initiatives Program (OIP) provides financial assistance for community-based projects that fall outside the scope of all other Community Grants funding streams. This includes one-time projects, international disaster relief and projects that are emergency or urgent in nature.
Support through OIP is intended to achieve the following broad outcomes:
- support community driven goals that have a public benefit
- stimulate economic activity across the province
You must contact the Community Grants office prior to submitting an application to OIP.
OIP is not a replacement or extension of other grant programs.
For more information, read the OIP Guidelines.
There is no minimum or maximum funding that can be requested through OIP. The level of funding granted is based on need or the community benefit of the project and is subject to available resources.
Successful grant applicants are required to enter into a formal grant agreement.
OIP does not require matching funds, but grant applicants needs to demonstrate their financial viability.
International relief initiatives – for disasters in developing countries – require an appeal to Albertans through a public request for donations. We will then consider a matching grant.
Applicants cannot request ongoing operational or multi-year funding for a project.
Organizations can receive funding for only one project through OIP per fiscal year.
A registered community non-profit organization in Alberta (and in good standing) under one of these acts:
- Societies Act
- Part 21 of the Business Corporations Act – Extra-Provincial Corporations
- Part 9 of the Companies Act, (Nonprofit Companies)
- Special Act of the Alberta Legislature
- Income Tax Act (of Canada and operating in the Province of Alberta (Charities))
- First Nations or Metis Settlements
- foundations established and regulated under Alberta’s Regional Health Authorities Act
- universities, colleges or institutes as defined under Alberta’s Post-Secondary Learning Act
Organizations must have an Alberta address which is regularly monitored by an active member of the organization.
The following organizations are not eligible to apply for funding under OIP:
- for-profit organizations
- any other organizations not registered under one of the above mentioned acts
- organizations that have overdue or incomplete accounting/reporting relating to any grant previously awarded by Alberta Culture, Multiculturalism and Status of Women
Projects eligible for funding through OIP include:
- one-time projects or events that fall outside the criteria of all other Community Grants programs
- national and international projects (such as disaster relief)
- projects that are in response to emergencies or urgent in nature
The following projects are not eligible for funding through OIP:
- projects that have already been started prior to applying for OIP (retroactive)
- debt reduction
- operational costs
- fundraising events and related fundraising initiatives
How to apply
Step 1. Contact the Community Grants office
You must contact our office to discuss your organization and project eligibility.
Step 2. Fill out the application package
After contacting the Community Grants office to discuss your organization and project eligibility, an application form will be provided to you.
Fill out the following documents:
- Application form – provided by program staff
- Budget Template (XLSX, 20 KB)
- Application for Direct Deposit (PDF, 1.2 MB)
Step 3. Submit the application package
Email your application to our office: [email protected]
Connect with the Community Grants office: