The application for the 2023 – 2024 academic year has now closed. Students will be notified of their status by the second week of January, via the application platform.
The Northern Student Teacher Bursary (NSTB) encourages students in a teaching program to live and work as a teacher within the Northern Alberta Development Council (NADC) boundary after completing their program.
Schools included within the NADC boundary are under the authority of a Northern Alberta School Division, a First Nations’ Education Authority, or an accredited independent school.
NSTB provides students enrolled in a teaching program in northern Alberta with $18,000 over 2 years. Half the amount is awarded to students in their last year of studies and the full amount is awarded over 2 years to students in their second to last year of their program.
Students must commit 3 years of full-time employment for 2 years of bursary funding. Students who receive one year of funding will commit to 2 years of full-time employment of service. Part time teaching employment (subbing or short-term contracts) will be prorated towards your obligation.
Selected recipients will be asked to sign a return of service agreement. Recipients who do not fulfill this requirement will be asked to repay the bursary.
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program at a designated institution.
- In the last or second to last year of a program leading to a Bachelor of Education or in the first or second year of a Bachelor of Education After Degree.
- Completing a program with a specialization in demand within northern Alberta.
- Plan to live and work in northern Alberta upon completion of your program and sign a return of service agreement.
You increase your chance of success if you:
- demonstrate an interest in northern Alberta and knowledge of northern employment opportunities
- have an acceptable academic record
Participating school divisions
Check to see what schools are eligible to use as employment towards your return of service obligation.
All schools in these divisions are eligible
- The East Central Francophone Education Region
- The Fort McMurray Public School District
- The Fort McMurray Roman Catholic Separate School District
- The Fort Vermilion School Division
- The Grande Prairie Roman Catholic Separate School District
- The Grande Prairie School District
- The High Prairie School Division
- The Holy Family Catholic Regional Division
- The Northern Lights School Division
- The Northland School Division
- The Northwest Francophone Education Region
- The Peace River School Division
- The Peace Wapiti School Division
Only some schools in these divisons are eligible
See the NADC map for details on the boundaries of these divisions.
- The Aspen View Public School Division
- The Grande Yellowhead Public School Division
- The Greater North Central Francophone Education Region (Fort McMurray only)
- The Lakeland Roman Catholic Separate School District
- The Living Waters Catholic Regional Division
- The Northern Gateway Regional Division
- The Pembina Hills Regional Division
- The St. Paul Education Regional Division
If you secure employment with a First Nations’ Education Authority or accredited independent school located within the boundaries of the NADC or with the eligible schools listed above, contact us at [email protected] to ensure we recognize the return of service agreement.
How to apply
Step 1. Create your Alberta.ca Account
You need a verified Alberta.ca Account to submit your application. Verifying your account can take up to 2 weeks.
Step 2. Gather supporting documents
Attach the following PDF or JPG files to your application:
- most recent unofficial transcripts
- resume and supporting documents (optional)
Step 3. Submit the application
Complete the application form fully, attach supporting documents and answer the essay questions clearly and concisely on the online application platform.
Log in troubleshooting
If you are experiencing problems signing into the application portal with your Alberta.ca Account and receiving the following message “Sorry, we can’t find the page you’re looking for…”, clear your cache and browsing history. This will fix the problem and you will be able to access the bursary application site.
After you apply
Monitor your application for any comments, questions, or status updates through the application platform. You will be advised of your status approximately 3 months after the closing date.
Selected recipients will receive the return of service agreement by email along with directions to continue the award process.
If selected, the Program Administrators will follow up with you to monitor completion of your return of service commitment. If you do not fulfill your obligation, you will be asked to repay your bursary.
Connect with the Program Administrators:
Email: [email protected]