The Municipal Government Board (MGB) is an independent and impartial quasi-judicial board established under the Municipal Government Act to make decisions about land planning and assessment matters.
Other MGB appeals and recommendations
- Disaster Recovery Program Referrals
- conflicts between municipalities and housing management bodies
- Regional Service Commission Disputes
- disputes involving municipal planning rules and authorizations from:
- Natural Resources Conservation Board (NRCB)
- Energy Resources Conservation Board (ERCB)
- Alberta Energy and Utilities Board (AEUB)
- Alberta Energy Regulator (AER)
- Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC)
- For these disputes, use the S. 619 Notice of Appeal form (PDF, 412 KB)
- disputes involving municipal planning decisions and authorizations and approvals by the AER (or the ERCB and AEUB), AUC or the NRCB
- any other matters referred to the MGB by the minister or the Lieutenant Governor
Rules of procedure
The following rules are effective June 1, 2018 and replace the former MGB Procedure Guide.
- Annexation Rules
- Subdivision Rules
- Intermunicipal Dispute Rules
- Linear Assessment and Equalized Assessment Complaints Rules
- Residual Rules
- MGB Organizational Chart (PDF, 578 KB)
Board Order search
The MGB Board Order search allows users to search for decisions within the MGB's database.
The MGB consists of a chair and 56 Board members. All Board members are appointed by Order in Council based on their experience and knowledge of assessment, taxation, planning, development and quasi-judicial processes.
The MGB is not currently recruiting new Board members. New Board member recruitment is posted on current public agency board opportunities.
MGB hearing panels consist of a presiding officer and 2 members, or a single member where legislation allows. Composite Assessment Review Boards sit with one MGB member as a presiding officer and 2 municipally appointed non-MGB members.
- MGB Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Information on MGB Recruitment (PDF, 394 KB)
- Mandate and Roles Document
- Bios for MGB Board Members (PDF, 198 KB)
Mission, vision, values and goals
The MGB shall provide timely, independent, quasi-judicial appeal adjudication to all parties in the areas of assessment matters, planning, subdivision appeals, inter-municipal disputes and annexation recommendations, that yields fairness and equity consistent with the authority of the Municipal Government Act.
The MGB will be a leader among tribunals with a reputation for excellence in adjudication.
Everyone in Alberta shall have access to a fair and independent process with strict adherence to the principles of natural justice and in which all individuals are treated fairly and without bias in an open, orderly and impartial manner.
This vision will be attained by:
- Providing benchmark decisions.
- Advocating excellence and providing guidance in decision making to stakeholders.
- Demonstrating efficiency, effectiveness and timeliness in the appeal process.
- Respecting rights of individuals, businesses, corporations and municipalities.
- Ensuring that all property assessments are equitable, fair and correct in accordance with legislation.
- Striving for consistency and predictability based on evidence presented.
In service to stakeholders the MGB values:
- Our strength through the diversity of our members and the quality of our staff.
- The right to natural justice and timeliness in the adjudication process.
- Respect for and responsiveness to our stakeholders.
- Provision of quality service to stakeholders.
- Consistent interpretation of legislation.
- Commitment to the Code of Ethics and Conduct.
- Organizational alignment and a team approach to problem-solving.
- Innovative use of automated information services.
- Continuous organizational development, self-improvement and self-evaluation.
- Enriched and rewarding work environment which recognizes productivity.
Organizational Effectiveness: The MGB will be an effective organization, roles and accountabilities will be clear and understood, and processes and relationships will be purposely aligned.
- Processes: The MGB will reflect accessibility, efficient scheduling, timely decisions and fair hearing procedures consistent with the principles of natural justice.
- Quality Decisions: MGB decisions will be legislatively correct, well reasoned, consistent with evidence and relevant case law and will be issued on a timely basis.
- Stakeholder Satisfaction: The MGB will be proactive and responsive to stakeholder feedback and satisfaction. A stakeholder is defined as all people who have a vested interest in the outcomes of the MGB. This would include Board members, staff, all external parties who come before the MGB, the department and the minister.
- Budget Plan: The MGB budget will reflect the business plan and will provide for effective and efficient use of financial resources to support MGB priorities.
Forms and reports
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Designated Industrial Property assessment complaint and Equalized Assessment Appeal
- Overview of the Annexation Process
- Annexation Application Checklist (PDF, 31 KB)
- Annexation Principles – City of St. Albert/Sturgeon County (PDF, 17 KB)
- Annexation Bulletin No. 2 – 2003: Annexation Matters
- Annexation Bulletin No. 1 – 2005 Assessment and Taxation
- Annexation Bulletin No. 2 – 2008 Annexation Crossing Primary (Provincial) Highways
- Subdivision – Appeal Form (PDF, 431 KB)
- Insurance and Disaster Recovery Program Advisory Committee
- Municipal Government Board
- New Home Buyer Protection Board
Connect with the Municipal Government Board:
Hours: 8:15 am to Noon and 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Municipal Government Board
2nd Floor, Summerside Business Centre
1229 91 Street SW
Edmonton Alberta T6X 1E9