The Mobile Butcher Licence enables a mobile butcher to slaughter an individual’s animal on the individual’s land. The meat is uninspected and is only for consumption by the animal's owner and members of their immediate household. The meat is not for sale or further distribution.
- Licence holders are responsible for reviewing and following applicable legislation and other licensing requirements as identified on the application form.
- Licence holders are responsible for using potable water.
- Licence holders shall ensure that animals are slaughtered humanely and safely.
- Zoning restrictions limit slaughter in some areas such as a county and/or a municipality. The licence holder is responsible for ensuring compliance with bylaws in their county or municipality.
- Licence holders transporting and disposing of cattle tissue with specified risk material (SRM) require a permit
- Licence holders are required to submit quarterly reports within 2 weeks of the end of each quarter.
- Report to Meat and Dairy Inspection Section (MDIS) if operating an AHS permitted meat facility.
You can apply for an Alberta Mobile Butcher Licence if you:
- Can lawfully operate a business in Alberta
- Are at least 18 years of age
5-year licence fee: $100
Licences are valid 5 years from the date of issue.
How to apply online
To apply for and purchase a Mobile Butcher licence online, you will need:
- A valid credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express) or Interac debit card
- An email address (to receive updates and information about Alberta regulations)
1. Review licensing requirements and responsibilities outlined in the application
2. Complete application and submit payment
3. After your application has been reviewed and processed, your licence will be sent to you by email or mail.
Processing your application may take 2 to 4 weeks.
How to apply by mail
Submit application and fee
- Review licensing requirements and responsibilities outlined in the application
If not applying online, you can mail in your completed, printed application form and your cheque or money order.
- Download the PDF fillable application form to your computer or print the application, then fill in the requested information.
- Mobile Butcher licence application (PDF, 2.6 MB)
Note: In order for your application to be processed, the form must be complete.
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
Cheques or money orders should be payable to the Government of Alberta and mailed with your application form to the address below:
Meat and Dairy Inspection Section
Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Economic Development
J.G. O’Donoghue Building
7000 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5T6
Do not send cash.
3. After you apply
After your application has been reviewed and processed, your licence will be sent to you by email or post.
Processing your application may take 2 to 4 weeks.
Licensed slaughter operation directory
Mobile Butcher Licence holders must submit a report within 2 weeks of the end of each of these quarters:
- Quarter 1: January to March
- Quarter 2: April to June
- Quarter 3: July to September
- Quarter 4: October to December
Animal slaughter limits per customer per calendar year:
- Six (6) large red meat animals (example: beef, bison, elk, yak, ostrich) and
- Twelve (12) hogs and
- Twelve (12) sheep and
- Twelve (12) goat and
- 150 poultry or other small animals (example: quail, rabbit)
Quarterly reporting enables Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Economic Development to monitor designated slaughter limits per producer or customer consumption. Adhering to slaughter limits is the responsibility of the licence holder.
Download and fill out the Mobile Butcher Reporting Form (PDF, 1.3 MB)
Send your completed PDF report form by clicking on the “Submit by Email” button at the bottom of the form.
If you are not sending your report forms by email, mail your printed reports to the mailing address that appears above on this page.
If you are interested in submitting your Mobile Butcher slaughter reports online, watch the tutorial: Opinio Mobile Butcher Data Entry.
If you would like to use this tool to submit your Mobile Butcher slaughter report, click here to request access to the Mobile Butcher report form. MDIS will send you the link and password for the report and instructions to complete it.
Online reporting must be done while connected to the internet.
If you have questions about the Mobile Butcher Licence, contact: [email protected]
Should you have any questions about on-line reporting, please contact:
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.