Mobile Butcher Facility Licence Application
A Mobile Butcher Facility Licence enables a Government of Alberta licensed mobile butcher to operate a mobile butcher facility, a premise that:
- allows an individual’s animal that has been slaughtered by a licensed mobile butcher on the individual’s land, or slaughtered at an on-farm slaughter operation, to be transported to and processed at a mobile butcher facility. The meat and any processed meat products from these slaughtered animals is only for consumption by the individual’s household. As this meat is uninspected, it must be labelled as uninspected and it cannot be sold, traded, bartered or further distributed.
- allows the mobile butcher licence holder to purchase inspected meat which can be further processed at a mobile butcher facility. The inspected meat and any processed products made only from inspected meat can be sold to the public within Alberta.
All licensed mobile butcher facilities must meet the requirements of the Meat Inspection Act and the Meat Inspection Regulation.
Licence holders are responsible for the following:
- reviewing and following applicable legislation and other licensing requirements
- adequately labelling uninspected product as "UNINSPECTED – not for sale."
- adequately labelling inspected product
- using potable water
- ensuring compliance with bylaws in their county or municipality
Applicants that request a mobile butcher facility licence for the same plot of land as an on-farm slaughter operation are required to show that the on-farm licence slaughter premise and activities are separate from the mobile butcher facility premise and mobile butcher facility activities.
- Meat Inspection Act
- Meat Inspection Regulation
- Meat Facility Standards
- Food Labelling for Industry
- Food retail and foodservices code
- Food Regulation
- Disposal of Dead Animals Regulation
- Premises Identification Program
- Guidance on Specified Risk Material
- National Building Code – 2019 Alberta Edition
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
You can apply for a Mobile Butcher Facility Licence if you:
- can lawfully operate a business in Alberta
- are at least 18 years of age
- are a Government of Alberta licensed mobile butcher
5-year licence fee: $100
Licences are valid 5 years from the date of issue.
How to apply
Review legislative requirements and licensee responsibilities.
Contact the Meat and Dairy Inspection Section (MDIS) at [email protected] for information on the Mobile Butcher Facility licensing approval process.
Licensed slaughter operation directory
Licence updates must be sent in before you:
- update or renovate a mobile butcher facility, or
- change or modify processing steps or processing information
Contact MDIS at [email protected] with your request to update your Licence. MDIS will contact you regarding your proposed updates and will provide more information.
If you have any questions, email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.