Mining tool kit

To win, work and recover Crown-owned metallic and industrial minerals.

Table 1.

Title Description
Summary of Requirements Exploring for minerals in Alberta
Acts and Regulations List of related Acts and Regulations
Information Letters and Bulletins Information letters Information bulletins - metallic and industrial minerals
Apply Electronic transfer system (ETS) To apply for a metallic and industrial mineral permit or transfer mineral rights.
Alberta Mineral Information (AMI) AMI searches Information on requesting and conducting searches.
Maps Interactive maps
Mineral disposition information is available through an interactive mapping program. This program allows you to select location, scale and map features, and conduct basic searches. Updated overnight.
Alberta Township Survey System Introduction to ATS (PDF, 302 KB) For legal land description (meridian, township, range, section, legal subdivision).
Map Co-ordinates Converter Alberta Geological Survey Conversion
Geoscience Research Alberta Geological Survey
Other Resources Statistics Mineral assessment reports


Table 2.

Title Description
Check Mineral Rights and
Possible Restrictions
Check map of metallic and industrial mineral activity. Obtain AMI Search. In area of interest, check status of Metallic and Industrial Mineral Permit if you have 1.
Apply for Metallic and Industrial Mineral Lease Apply through ETS:
  • lease term is 15 years
  • not for oil sands, coal or surface material
Obtain Permission/Approval
to Develop Mine
Contact Environment and Parks to develop the mine.
Report Crown Production
and Royalties
Obtain a form from Coal and Mineral Development, Alberta Energy.
Renew a Lease Apply in writing before the lease expires.
Transfer Mineral Rights
(if applicable)
Submit transfer application and letter to Alberta Energy.
Terminate Activity or Lease When lease expires, mineral activities permitted under lease must cease. To cancel a lease, notify Coal and Mineral Development, Alberta Energy. Environment and Parks addresses reclamation issues relating to mine closures. Alberta Human Services addresses safety relating to mine closures.


Connect with the Coal and Mineral Development Unit:

Hours: 8:15 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7707
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]


Alberta Energy
Coal and Mineral Development Unit
North Petroleum Plaza
9945 108 Street *
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2G6

* Couriers, please report to the 2nd floor.

Calgary (drop-off location only)

Alberta Energy
300, 801 6 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 3W2

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.

You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.