The following acts, regulations and codes outline the lawful obligations for emergency planning in Alberta.
- Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations, and Code
- An employer’s obligation to prepare emergency plans for employees in their workplaces.
- Safety Codes Act
- A building owner’s responsibilities for emergency planning.
- Alberta Fire Code
- A building owner or manager’s responsibilities for the building fire safety systems and emergency plans and for fire related incidents.
- Schools are required to conduct 6 fire evacuation drills per year, with 3 in the fall term and 3 in the winter/spring term. Schools must keep records of these drills.
- Alberta Occupiers' Liability Act
- A facility occupier's (tenant’s) responsibilities for protection of lawful visitors.
Additional policies, procedures and protocols
In addition to the legal requirements related to emergency planning, schools and school authorities must have policies and procedures in place related to safety for outdoor education and field trips, as well as a heath protocol.
Seasonal influenza, commonly called the flu, is a respiratory disease that affects the nose, throat and lungs. It is caused by a virus that is easily passed from person to person.
- Cover Your Cough poster (PDF, 28 KB)
- Letter to Superintendents re: reporting absenteeism greater than 10% (PDF, 77 KB)
- Alberta Health Influenza information
- Alberta Health Services
- Public Health Agency of Canada
The Pandemic Influenza Planning Guide
Alberta Education developed a Pandemic Planning Guide for Alberta School Authorities 2013 to help school boards prepare for a pandemic influenza outbreak. The guide contains planning tools and sample documents that can be used or adapted to meet the needs of individual schools.
Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs)
AEDs automate the diagnosis and treatment of life-threatening cardiac issues. AEDs are marked by a universal symbol of a heart with a lightning bolt.
These devices are not mandatory, but many schools and community centres in Alberta have AEDs.
- Poster: Locate your AED (PDF, 447 KB)
Connect with Business Continuity:
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.