French-language content for this topic on Alberta.ca is currently being developed. Information will remain available on the Alberta Education website until this is complete.
La page correspondante en français est en cours de préparation sur le site Web Alberta.ca. Pendant cette période de transition, l'information qu'elle contient demeure disponible sur le site Web du ministère de l'Éducation.
Alberta Education has the following policies regarding K to 12 education:
- Daily Physical Activity Policy
- English as a Second Language Policy
- Human Sexuality Education Policy
- Inclusive Education Policy
- Learning Commons Policy
- Locally Developed Courses Policy
- Student Evaluation Policy
- Teacher Growth, Supervision and Evaluation Policy
- Use and Reporting of Results on Provincial Assessment Policy
Details about these policies can be found in the Guide to Education.
K-12 education programs, services and outcomes are defined by compulsory delivery standards defined in the:
Ministerial Order on Student Learning
This ministerial order sets the vision, essential values, learning foundations and outcomes for student learning in K-12 education:
- Ministerial Order on Student Learning - English (HTML)
- Arrêté ministériel sur l’apprentissage des élèves - French (HTML)
Early Childhood Special Education
When delivering educational programming and services for children with special education needs, school authorities follow the requirements outlined in the:
- Standards for the Provision of Early Childhood Services Special Education
- Normes en matière d’adaptation des programmes préscolaires
Grades 1 to 12 Special Education
For some students, full participation in learning requires that they receive specialized supports and services. School authorities are to follow the requirements outlined in the:
- Standards for special education (Amended June 2004)
- Information Bulletin on Standards for Special Education (Amended June 2004)
Teaching and leadership quality
Alberta teachers, school leaders and school authority leaders meet the competency requirements for the teaching profession outlined in the:
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.