Income Support recipients who have lost work and income because of COVID-19 can exempt a portion of the federal government’s Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), if they receive it. This means a portion of the CERB payment will not affect their provincial benefits. Find out more.
There are several factors that affect your eligibility for income support. If you meet these criteria, you can apply for Income Support. The process typically takes 2 weeks.
Age and residency
- live in Alberta
- be at least 18 years old
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, refugee or refugee claimant
- be unable to pay for your basic needs
- not have income or assets that exceeds:
- $5,000 in RRSPs per adult
- $10,000 equity in vehicles
- not have income that exceeds what you would receive from Income Support core benefits
- not have cash or savings that exceed the liquid asset limit (the limit is generally three times the Income Support core benefit amount you would be eligible to receive)
- be willing to apply for other income programs that you may be eligible to receive (such as Employment Insurance)
Ability to work
Your situation must be one of the following. You:
- are looking for work
- are working but not earning enough
- are unable to work for a short time
- need help to access training to find a job
- are unable to work due to chronic health problems or other concerns
Information and planning
You must be willing to:
- provide personal and financial information for all members of your household
- develop and follow a plan with your Income Support worker to improve your situation
For more information, see the Income Support Online Policy Manual.
Contact your Income Support worker for all related Income Support questions.
If you do not know how to reach your worker, contact your local Alberta Supports or Alberta Works Centre.
Alberta Supports Contact Centre
Connect with the main Alberta Supports Contact Centre:
24-hour Emergency Income Support Contact Centre
Get emergency financial assistance to help with basic needs like shelter, food, clothing and transportation.