How to access continuing care

Learn how to get the continuing care you need.


Anyone living in Alberta with a valid health care card can get continuing care services, provided by home and community care or in a continuing care home. The kind of accommodation and services you will get is based on an assessment of your unmet care needs.

If you are new to Alberta, you can access continuing care services too. However, you may be responsible for the cost of the care you receive until you have met residency requirements and get a personal Alberta health care card.

Get the help you need

There are many reasons someone might require continuing care services. If you think you or your loved one might need assistance, you can call Health Link at 811 to speak to a health professional. They can help you set up an assessment to see what kind of continuing care services would meet your or your loved one’s needs. They can also direct you to other community resources or supports.

While some people may think they need services provided in a continuing care home, an assessment may find that home and community care or other community supports are a better fit for their needs. An Alberta Health Services (AHS) assessment will help determine what supports are best for you.

Get an assessment

To access home and community care or services provided in continuing care homes, the first step is to contact AHS. Call Health Link at 811 to arrange for an assessment by an AHS health professional who will help identify your or your loved one’s unmet health and personal care needs.

No referral is necessary. Anyone can call to arrange an assessment for a friend or loved one who is unable to call Health Link themselves.

Access supportive living accommodations

For access to licensed supportive living accommodations, the operator of the accommodation will decide if their facility is right for you. It is up to you to find out if a specific accommodation will meet your needs and preferences.

Things to consider include:

  • what accommodations and services are provided
  • costs for delivery of those services
  • eligibility criteria for different accommodations, including:
    • age – 65 years or older
    • mobility – ability for certain types of mobility assistance equipment to be safely used
    • functional independence – the ability to manage activities of daily living such as dressing and bathing on your own
    • medical stability – not requiring more care and assistance than the operator can provide
    • smoking or non-smoking
    • minimum income