Graduation requirements, credentials and credits

Learn about the many ways to finish high school in Alberta.

High school completion options

Schools across Alberta offer a number of different ways for students to complete high school.

Parents and students should discuss the best route to meeting graduation requirements with a high school counsellor or school administrator.

Alberta Education diplomas and certificates certify that the holder has successfully completed a prescribed program of instruction. Requirements can be found from this list below.

  • Alberta High School Diploma (English and Francophone)
  • Certificate of High School Achievement (English and Francophone)
  • Certificate of School Completion
  • Alberta High School Diploma as a mature student – see Mature students in the Guide to Education for requirements to receive an Alberta High School Diploma or Certificate of High School Achievement.
  • There are 2 options for achieving a High School Equivalency Diploma – these are both explained in the education guide. The first option is for the principal to confirm the requirements have been met and the second option is the Canadian Adult Education Credential (CAEC).

Diplomas and certificates are issued twice a year:

  • first semester is issued the last week of February
  • second semester is issued the last week of July

Having a diploma or certificate does not necessarily guarantee admission to a post-secondary institution. Students should check the websites of post-secondary institutions for admission requirements or for contact information to speak to an admissions counsellor.

Student information

Students enrolled in an Alberta high school can view their progress towards achieving an Alberta credential or request diploma reprints online from myPass.

Individuals can also request a reprint of their high school diploma by filling in the form below and sending it to Alberta Education via mail or email.

See Student information and high school transcripts for more information about MyPass and other available services.


Students are awarded credits for achieving at least 50% in high school courses.

After each semester or school year, students are awarded credits by Alberta Education on the recommendation of the principal. For more information on how to earn credits students should consult with their school guidance counsellor or school administrator. For more information on credits see the Guide to Education.

Students can view their progress towards achieving required credits for a credential in their myPass account.

Academic upgrading options differ depending if you’re 19 years of age or younger or if you’re 20 years of age or older – learn your options.

Supports to complete high school

Contact Alberta supports for help accessing more than 30 programs and 120 services for people with disabilities, job seekers, parents and families, homelessness, financial assistance, abuse and family violence prevention.


Connect with the Provincial Approach to Student Information (PASI) for student records, student enrolment and marks:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-422-9337
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]