Equivalency diploma options

You can achieve a High School Equivalency Diploma through the Canadian Adult Education Credential (CAEC) or other options.


There are 2 ways to achieve a High School Equivalency Diploma in Alberta:

  • apply to the principal of a high school
  • get your Canadian Adult Education Credential (CAEC)

Apply to the principal of a high school

For this option, you must:

  • be 18 years or older as of September 1 of the current school year
  • have been out of school for at least 10 consecutive months
  • be deficit in the credits needed for an Alberta High School Diploma

To learn more about this option, see the Guide to Education.

Canadian Adult Education Credential (CAEC)

The CAEC is a new adult education credential to replace the GED®, which is no longer available in Canada, effective May 3, 2024. In Alberta, the CAEC replaces the GED® starting in May 2024.

Alberta is a trusted leader in education excellence, with expertise in developing and administering provincial assessments. Together with national partners, Alberta Education developed and will lead the administration of the CAEC.

Visit the CAEC page for more information about the CAEC, including test structure and material, study resources and how to register.


To obtain your High School Equivalency Diploma through the CAEC, you must:

  • be 18 years of age or older
  • have been out of school for at least 10 consecutive months
  • pass all 5 CAEC tests (available in English or French):
    • Reading
    • Writing
    • Science
    • Social Studies
    • Mathematics (Part I and Part II)
  • have an Alberta Student Number

Write the CAEC tests

To write a CAEC test, you will need to create a profile within the new CAEC digital platform. On this platform, you can schedule a test at a testing centre of your choice and pay fees.

Testing centres can provide more information about registration deadlines, fees and test dates. Some testing centres also offer CAEC preparation classes.

Check this page in May 2024 for access to the CAEC digital platform, as well as for a listing of testing centres available in Alberta.

Testing accommodations

The CAEC is designed to be supportive of candidates who benefit from accommodations and supports.

Check this page in May 2024 for more information about what accommodations are available and how to make an accommodation request.

Recognizing previous GED tests

If you passed any 2002 Canadian Test Series GED® tests before the GED® transitioned to the CAEC, you can apply to have the results count towards CAEC tests in the same subjects for up to 3 years, until May 2027.

Check this page in May 2024 for more information about how to apply for Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) of previously-passed GED® tests.

Note: There is no effect on the validity of GED® credentials that have been completed. The value of your completed GED® will not change.

View or request your CAEC marks

You can view your CAEC marks through your profile on the CAEC digital platform.

You can also view and request your marks through Alberta’s myPass, a secure self-service website for students to access their education information.

After passing the CAEC tests

If you pass all 5 CAEC tests, Alberta Education will mail you a High School Equivalency Diploma.

You will receive it within about 4 to 6 weeks of writing your final passing test.


Connect with the CAEC Testing Service:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Email: [email protected]