Table of contents


If you are an Alberta resident who can legally live in Canada and do not have a valid driver’s licence, you can apply for an ID card to use as photo identification.

An Alberta ID card is for identification purposes only and does not allow the holder to operate a motor vehicle. The ID card is valid for 5 years.


The minimum age to hold an ID card is 12 years old.

Applicants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to provide consent.

If you are a student from another jurisdiction and are attending an accredited school in Alberta, you can apply for an ID card.

You will need to prove that you are an Alberta resident and that you can legally live in Canada.

Alberta residency

You can prove that you are an Alberta resident by providing the registry agent with a utility bill or other statement that has been mailed to your residence. Electronic statements, such as bank statements, are not allowed.


If you are a student from outside Alberta, you can prove Alberta residency by providing a letter from the Alberta accredited college or university stating that you are a full-time student.

Canada residency

To prove that you can legally live in Canada, you can provide the registry agent with one of the following:

  • Canadian birth certificate
  • valid Canadian passport, NEXUS or Permanent Resident card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (SCIS)
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate dated after February 2012
  • Canadian Citizenship Card dated before February 2012
  • a confirmation document, permit or resident visa issued by the Government of Canada that gives you resident status in Canada for more than the next 90 days
  • refugee claimants with a Refugee Protection Claimant Document and valid work or study permit

How to apply

To apply for an Alberta ID card, visit any authorized registry agent in Alberta.

Renew or replace an ID card remotely

If you require a new ID card and you are unable to attend a registry agent in person because you are either temporarily outside of Alberta or are medically homebound, you can apply for a new ID card by completing the Remote Driver's Licence/ID Card Application (REG11197)

You must will need to provide proof of identification and Alberta residency with your application.

You can send your application and the applicable fees to any Alberta registry agent.

At the time of your next ID card service, you will be required to provide proof of Alberta residency and Canadian legal presence.


Connect with us if you have any questions:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7013
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.