Report a public safety concern

If your concern is urgent or life-threatening, call 911.

If your concern is not urgent, contact the Canadian Firearms Program.


Firearms safety is paramount. An important function of Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office is to provide information and advice to Albertans on how to keep their firearms safe. Taking safety measures will help keep Alberta’s communities secure.

Storing safety

Safety begins at home. Store your firearms safely to prevent accidents and avoid them being lost or stolen.

Always unload and lock your firearms. They can be locked up separately or with other firearms in the same container.

For non-restricted firearms:

  • attach a secure lock, such as a trigger lock or cable lock, or remove the bolt
  • lock the firearms in a cabinet, container or safe room

For restricted and prohibited firearms:

  • attach a secure lock so they cannot be fired and lock them in a cabinet, container or safe room
  • lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built to store firearms safely

Displaying safety

When displaying your firearms:

  • unload and lock them
  • do not display them with or near ammunition
  • attach them to secure locks

Some rules may be different for firearms displayed away from home – for example, at a gun show.

Transporting safety

Non-restricted firearms must be unloaded during transportation.

For restricted and prohibited firearms:

  • unload them
  • attach secure locks
  • lock them in a strong, non-transparent container
  • obtain an Authorization to Transport

If you must leave any class of firearm in an unattended vehicle:

  • lock them in the trunk or in a similar lockable compartment
  • put secured firearms and firearm containers out of sight and lock the vehicle

Authorization to transport

You do not need an Authorization to Transport (ATT) for non-restricted firearms that you transport yourself. For restricted or prohibited firearms, you need an ATT.

To apply for an ATT you must:

  1. Possess a valid Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence.
  2. Complete and submit an ATT form.

Individuals need to request an ATT from the Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office to transport restricted and prohibited firearms to and from a:

  • business for repair or appraisal
  • gun show
  • port of entry or exit
  • peace officer, firearms officer or Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office for verification, registration or disposal

You do not need an ATT for any firearms that a licensed carrier ships on your behalf.

Get more information about mailing firearms

Authorization to carry

In general, the only firearms allowed for wilderness protection are non-restricted rifles and shotguns.

However, Canadian residents may be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for wilderness protection or for lawful occupational purposes if they:

  • are licensed to possess restricted firearms
  • are a licensed professional trapper
  • need protection from wild animals in their job

To apply for an Authorization to Carry (ATC), complete and submit an ATC form.

Sport shooting safely

Contact Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office to find out if the place where you will be target shooting is approved under federal regulations.

Hunting safety

Alberta's hunting community plays a vital role in wildlife management in the province.

It is important that hunters continue a tradition of responsible and safe hunting practices by keeping well informed about current hunting regulations and requirements.

Get more information about hunting responsibly and regulations.

Find out how to get a hunting licence on My Wild Alberta.


Firearms safety courses

In Alberta, the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association run 2 firearms safety courses. Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office oversees the courses:


Canadian Firearms Safety Course is an introductory course for anyone (including minors) who wishes to own non-restricted firearms


Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course is an introductory course for anyone over the age of 18 who wishes to own restricted firearms

Course topics include:

  • the evolution of firearms
  • basic firearms safety practices
  • safe handling and carry procedures

Generally, applicants, including minors, must pass a Canadian Firearms Safety Course to be able to possess firearms.

Become an instructor

For more information about becoming an instructor, contact Alberta’s Chief Firearms Officer.

Student feedback

All instructors must meet and maintain service standards. To provide feedback about your training experience, contact Alberta’s Chief Firearms Officer. This helps us monitor and improve firearms safety training.

Borrowing safety

Adults and minors do not need a licence to borrow a firearm in Alberta, but must be under the direct supervision of a licensed adult.

Non-residents need to complete a Temporary Borrowing Licence form. This form must be submitted and approved ahead of time by Alberta’s Chief Firearms Officer.

Learn more about non-resident requirements.

Buying and selling safety

In Canada, a firearm may only be transferred to:

  • adults (18 or older) with a valid licence
  • businesses, museums, or other organizations with a valid licence
  • public service agencies, such as a police services, police academies or certain government departments

Learn more about the buying and selling process.

Inheriting firearms safely


To inherit a firearm you must:

  • be 18 years of age
  • hold a valid licence


Provide the following documents to the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) so that you can act as an executor:

  • a completed Act on Behalf of an Estate form
  • confirmation that the registered owner is deceased by providing one of the following:
    • the death certificate
    • letters of probate
    • a document (on letterhead) from a police department or coroner

Within a reasonable length of time, you must:

  • ensure the firearms are transferred and registered to a properly licensed individual or business, or
  • dispose of the firearms in a safe and lawful manner

Until then, you must ensure that the firearms are safely stored.

The Chief Firearms Office for Alberta will assist you if a valid firearms licence and/or registration certificate do not exist at the time of death.


Canadian Firearms Program

Firearms Reference Table

Federal Firearms Act and Regulations

Alberta Firearms Advisory Committee

Bill 211: Municipal Government (Firearms) Amendment Act, 2020

Importing and exporting firearms

Flying with a firearm

Firearm forms


Connect with Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office:

Email: [email protected]

Alberta Chief Firearms Office
PO Box 458, Station Main
Edmonton, AB  T5J 2K1

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.