Wireless subscribers are required to pay a monthly 911 levy of 44 cents on each of their active wireless devices with an Alberta area code.
The money generated by the 911 levy, after administrative costs, is provided to 911 call centres in Alberta to assist them in meeting the demands of increasing costs to manage 911 systems.
Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) administers this program on behalf of Municipal Affairs.
How to register
Step 1: Fill out the Emergency 911 Levy Registration Form
- Print the Emergency 911 Levy Registration Form (AT4990) (PDF, 282 KB) and complete it.
Step 2: Register
- Bring, mail or fax your completed Emergency 911 Levy Registration Form to TRA.
How to file
Step 1: Register for TRACS (TRA Client Self-Service)
- Complete the TRACS Enrolment Request to enrol in TRACS or contact TRA.
- Video: Enrolling in TRACS.
- Visit the TRACS page for more information.
Step 2: Complete your return
- File your Emergency 911 levy return online using TRACS.
- Print the confirmation page for your records.
- Returns are due on the 28th day after the end of the month for each period.
- You will be charged a penalty if you file your return late.
Step 3: Remit the levy collected and view the Notice of Assessment
- Remit the levy owing on or before the 28th day of the month following the period end.
- Interest will be charged on late remittances and will continue to accrue until the balance is paid in full.
- If there were changes made to your return or a balance is owing, a notice of assessment will be available in your TRACS account under View Assessments.
How to pay
- Visit Making payments for more information.
- Watch the video: Paying the Emergency 911 Levy Online.
- Related: TRA prescribed interest rates.
Maintain your account in TRACS
Log in to your TRACS account to:
- file an Emergency 911 levy return
- confirm receipt of submitted returns
- view status of prior assessments, financial details and notices of assessment and reassessment
- access financial information and view account period balances
- update address and contact information
- delegate account access to other employees or authorized individuals
For more details, instructional videos and to log in to your TRACS account, see TRACS information.
These documents discuss procedural matters and administrative policies and practices for programs administered by TRA. They are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.
- TRA-1 – An Introduction to Tax and Revenue Administration (March 2018)
- TRA-2 – TRA Fairness and Service Pledge (July 2018)
- E911-1 – Administration of the Emergency 911 Levy (February 2014)
Trouble opening PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open on some mobile devices and web browsers. If the form doesn't open or you see a "please wait" message, follow these steps to complete and save fillable forms from Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA):
- Right-click on the form link and select "Save Target As" or "Save Link As", and save the form to your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
To submit your forms
Forms cannot be sent through email. Complete and print your forms and bring, mail or fax them to TRA.
Forms and videos
- AT4990 – Emergency 911 Levy Registration (PDF, 282 KB) (January 2014)
- AT4762 – Notice of Objection (PDF, 128 KB) (July 2017)
Sign up for updates
To submit forms
Please note: forms cannot be sent through email. Complete and print your forms and bring, mail or fax them to:
Tax and Revenue Administration
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance
9811 109 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2L5