COVID-19 Updates: Protecting Albertans from the Omicron variant.
Wireless 911 levy increase
Bill 56: Local Measures Statutes Amendment Act, 2021 received Royal Assent on June 17, 2021. Alberta’s wireless 911 levy increased from 44 cents to 95 cents on September 1, 2021.
Wireless subscribers are required to pay a monthly 911 levy of 95 cents on each of their active wireless devices with an Alberta area code.
The money generated by the 911 levy, after administrative costs, is provided to 911 call centres in Alberta to assist them in meeting the demands of increasing costs to manage 911 systems.
Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) administers this program on behalf of Municipal Affairs.
How to register
Step 1: Create or log in to your MyAlberta Digital ID account
- Create a basic account or log in to MyAlberta.
Log in to MyAlberta Digital ID
Step 2: Sign in and select Online Registration
- After you create a MyAlberta Digital ID account, login to TRACS. You will need to sign in using your MyAlberta Digital Identity user name and password. Once you log in, you will be redirected to TRACS.
- Select 'Online Registration'.
- Select ‘911 Levy’ from the Program Name menu.
Step 3. Complete and submit the online registration form
- After you submit your registration, you will receive a pending status notification and a reference number. TRA may need to contact you for further information.
Step 4: Once approved
- You will be notified by email that your approval letter is available in your TRACS account.
How to file
Returns are due on the 28th day after the end of the month for each period.
Step 1: Complete the return
- Log in to your TRA Client Self-Service (TRACS) account and select ‘Submit Return'.
Step 2: Submit your return
- Submit the return in TRACS and print the confirmation page for your records.You will be charged a penalty if you file your return late.
Step 3: Remit the levy collected and view the Notice of Assessment
- Remit the levy owing on or before the 28th day of the month following the period end.
- Interest will be charged on late remittances and will continue to accrue until the balance is paid in full.
- If there were changes made to your return or a balance is owing, a notice of assessment will be available in your TRACS account under View Assessments.
How to pay
Maintain your account in TRACS
Log in to your TRACS account to:
- file an Emergency 911 levy return
- confirm receipt of submitted returns
- view status of prior assessments, financial details and notices of assessment and reassessment
- access financial information and view account period balances
- update address and contact information
- delegate account access to other employees or authorized individuals
- submit supporting documents
- file a notice of objection
For more details, instructional videos and to log in to your TRACS account, see TRACS information.
How to authorize a representative
An individual with proper authorization for the business may consent to the release of confidential information about account(s) with TRA to a specific firm and/or individual.
An individual with proper authorization for the business includes a(n):
- partner of a partnership
- corporate director
- trustee of an estate
- individual with delegated authority
Step 1: Fill out the Alberta Consent Form
- Complete the Alberta Consent Form (AT4931) (PDF, 328 KB).
Step 2: Submit the consent form
- Submit your completed consent form to TRA.
Step 3: Representative receives PIN (only for TRACS access)
- TRA will review the consent form to ensure it is complete.
- TRA will issue a PIN number to the individual via secure e-mail. TRACS access can only be provided to an individual.
The representative must enter the PIN and account number to access TRACS account. See How to access TRACS for instructions.
These documents discuss procedural matters and administrative policies and practices for programs administered by TRA. They are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.
- TRA-1R2 – Introduction to Tax and Revenue Administration – December 2021
- TRA-2 – TRA Fairness and Service Pledge – July 2018
- E911-1 – Administration of the Emergency 911 Levy – September 2021
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
- AT4764 – Request for a Waiver of Penalties and Interest (PDF, 854 KB) – October 2021
- Alberta Consent Form (AT4931) (PDF, 328 KB) – November 2020
Sign up for updates
Complete your forms and email or fax them to:
Email: [email protected]
Connect with Tax and Revenue Administration
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.