COVID-19 response: TRA's online services and special notices
Given the current exceptional circumstances surrounding the outbreak of COVID-19, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) encourages taxpayers to use electronic means (for example: Netfile, TRACS, secure email, electronic payment, etc.) to submit payments, registrations, applications, returns, claims, objections, waivers and appeals.
In order to reduce the necessity for taxpayers and tax preparers to meet in person, TRA will recognize electronic signatures. This administrative measure applies to all prescribed forms administered by TRA, including the Alberta Consent Form (AT4930) (PDF, 270 KB). To add a digital signature, the form must first be downloaded or opened as a PDF.
For more information, see TRA online services. This page also includes links to TRA Special Notices related to changes due to COVID-19, listed under the applicable program.
For COVID-19 updates, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
Wireless subscribers are required to pay a monthly 911 levy of 44 cents on each of their active wireless devices with an Alberta area code.
The money generated by the 911 levy, after administrative costs, is provided to 911 call centres in Alberta to assist them in meeting the demands of increasing costs to manage 911 systems.
Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) administers this program on behalf of Municipal Affairs.
How to register
Step 1: Fill out the Emergency 911 Levy Registration Form
- Print the Emergency 911 Levy Registration Form (AT4990) (PDF, 282 KB) and complete it.
Step 2: Register
- Submit your completed Emergency 911 Levy Registration Form to TRA.
How to file
Step 1: Register for TRACS (TRA Client Self-Service)
- Complete the TRACS Enrolment Request to enrol in TRACS or contact TRA.
- Visit the TRACS page for more information.
Step 2: Complete your return
- File your Emergency 911 levy return online using TRACS.
- Print the confirmation page for your records.
- Returns are due on the 28th day after the end of the month for each period.
- You will be charged a penalty if you file your return late.
Step 3: Remit the levy collected and view the Notice of Assessment
- Remit the levy owing on or before the 28th day of the month following the period end.
- Interest will be charged on late remittances and will continue to accrue until the balance is paid in full.
- If there were changes made to your return or a balance is owing, a notice of assessment will be available in your TRACS account under View Assessments.
How to pay
Maintain your account in TRACS
Log in to your TRACS account to:
- file an Emergency 911 levy return
- confirm receipt of submitted returns
- view status of prior assessments, financial details and notices of assessment and reassessment
- access financial information and view account period balances
- update address and contact information
- delegate account access to other employees or authorized individuals
For more details, instructional videos and to log in to your TRACS account, see TRACS information.
These documents discuss procedural matters and administrative policies and practices for programs administered by TRA. They are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.
- TRA-1 – An Introduction to Tax and Revenue Administration (March 2018)
- TRA-2 – TRA Fairness and Service Pledge (July 2018)
- E911-1 – Administration of the Emergency 911 Levy (February 2014)
Trouble opening or completing fillable PDF forms?
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. If the form doesn't open, or you can't complete the form, or you see a "please wait" message, follow these steps to complete and save fillable forms from Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA):
- Right-click on the form link and select "Save Target As" or "Save Link As", and save the form to your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Electronic signatures allowed
In order to reduce the necessity for taxpayers and tax preparers to meet in person, TRA will recognize electronic signatures. This administrative measure applies to all prescribed forms administered by TRA. To add a digital signature, the form must first be downloaded or opened as a PDF.
To submit your forms
Complete your forms and submit them to TRA.
Sign up for updates
To submit forms
Complete your forms and email or fax them to: