COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Wireless 911 levy increase
Bill 56: Local Measures Statutes Amendment Act, 2021 received Royal Assent on June 17, 2021. Alberta’s wireless 911 levy increased from 44 cents to 95 cents on September 1, 2021. For more information about Bill 56, see: Extending funding for municipalities.
Wireless subscribers are required to pay a monthly 911 levy of 95 cents on each of their active wireless devices with an Alberta area code.
The money generated by the 911 levy, after administrative costs, is provided to 911 call centres in Alberta to assist them in meeting the demands of increasing costs to manage 911 systems.
Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) administers this program on behalf of Municipal Affairs.
How to register
Step 1: Fill out the Emergency 911 Levy Registration Form
- Print the Emergency 911 Levy Registration Form (AT4990) (PDF, 282 KB) and complete it.
Step 2: Register
- Submit your completed Emergency 911 Levy Registration Form to TRA.
How to file
Step 1: Register for TRACS (TRA Client Self-Service)
- Complete the TRACS Enrolment Request to enrol in TRACS or contact TRA.
- Visit the TRACS page for more information.
Step 2: Complete your return
- File your Emergency 911 levy return online using TRACS.
- Print the confirmation page for your records.
- Returns are due on the 28th day after the end of the month for each period.
- You will be charged a penalty if you file your return late.
Step 3: Remit the levy collected and view the Notice of Assessment
- Remit the levy owing on or before the 28th day of the month following the period end.
- Interest will be charged on late remittances and will continue to accrue until the balance is paid in full.
- If there were changes made to your return or a balance is owing, a notice of assessment will be available in your TRACS account under View Assessments.
How to pay
Maintain your account in TRACS
Log in to your TRACS account to:
- file an Emergency 911 levy return
- confirm receipt of submitted returns
- view status of prior assessments, financial details and notices of assessment and reassessment
- access financial information and view account period balances
- update address and contact information
- delegate account access to other employees or authorized individuals
- submit supporting documents
- file a notice of objection
For more details, instructional videos and to log in to your TRACS account, see TRACS information.
How to authorize a representative
An individual with proper authorization for the business may consent to the release of confidential information about account(s) with TRA to a specific firm and/or individual.
An individual with proper authorization for the business includes a(n):
- partner of a partnership
- corporate director
- trustee of an estate
- individual with delegated authority
Step 1: Fill out the Alberta Consent Form
- Complete the Alberta Consent Form (AT4931) (PDF, 328 KB).
Step 2: Submit the consent form
- Submit your completed consent form to TRA.
Step 3: Representative receives PIN (only for TRACS access)
- TRA will review the consent form to ensure it is complete.
- TRA will issue a PIN number to the individual via secure e-mail. TRACS access can only be provided to an individual.
The representative must enter the PIN and account number to access TRACS account. See How to access TRACS for instructions.
These documents discuss procedural matters and administrative policies and practices for programs administered by TRA. They are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.
- TRA-1 – An Introduction to Tax and Revenue Administration – March 2018
- TRA-2 – TRA Fairness and Service Pledge – July 2018
- E911-1 – Administration of the Emergency 911 Levy – September 2021
Electronic signatures allowed
In order to reduce the necessity for taxpayers and tax preparers to meet in person, TRA will recognize electronic signatures. This administrative measure applies to all prescribed forms administered by TRA. To add a digital signature, the form must first be downloaded or opened as a PDF.
To submit your forms
Complete your forms and submit them to TRA.
- AT4990 – Emergency 911 Levy Registration (PDF, 282 KB) – January 2014
- AT4762 – Notice of Objection – December 2020
- AT4764 – Request for a Waiver of Penalties and Interest (PDF, 854 KB) – November 2020
- Alberta Consent Form (AT4931) (PDF, 328 KB) – November 2020
Sign up for updates
Complete your forms and email or fax them to:
Email: [email protected]
Connect with Tax and Revenue Administration
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.