Community and Regional Economic Support (CARES) program
Get financial support for Alberta’s communities, regions and municipalities for initiatives that promote long-term economic growth.
Application status: Closed - Third intake applicants announced April 9, 2018
Ministry responsible: Economic Development and Trade
Individuals who successfully submitted applications for an intake period can access their application program profile through their user account.
As part of the Alberta Jobs Plan, the Alberta government has allocated $30 million over 2 years to promote long-term economic growth and prosperity in Alberta’s communities and regions through the new Community and Regional Economic Support (CARES) program.
Funding is being distributed in a number of ways. For example:
- up to $26.45 million will be made available to communities, regions, municipalities and other eligible organizations
- $2.2 million over 2 years will be allocated for Regional Economic Development Alliances to enhance existing initiatives
- $600,000 has been allocated to 4 Rural Alberta Business Centres to support 2016-17 operations
- $750,000 has been allocated to the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo to support the Back to Business Resource Centre and business recovery expos in Fort McMurray
Municipalities, communities and organizations interested in getting grants through the CARES program are encouraged to apply through an online application process.
Grant application process
CARES programs guidelines have been updated in an effort to streamline the grant application process. Changes are outlined below and can be found in the CARES program guidelines (PDF, 812 KB).
The CARES program will run until 2018 and fund initiatives that create a measurable impact and align with one or more of the following program outcomes:
- improving local business environment and/or regional economic collaboration
- increasing support for entrepreneurs and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to grow and succeed
- enhancing support for businesses and industries that provide diversification to a community or a region
- increasing investment that drives high-value job creation
CARES program funding for economic development initiatives begins at $10,000.
Applicants must be able to match the funding requested (1:1 matching ratio) and projects must not take more than two years to execute. Successful applicants will receive the grant up front so that their project can commence immediately.
Projects or initiatives that are completed by two or more project partners and have a positive impact beyond an individual community or organization will be given higher consideration during the evaluation process.
How to apply
The CARES program follows a competitive application process. Applicants are required to fill out and submit their applications through the online application portal accessible through this page during each intake.
The third intake period closed Nov 30, 2017.
Step 1. Create a user account
A link to the online application portal is made available here during active intakes.
As part of the submission, applicants will be required to provide:
- background on project partners
- letters showing current support for the project
- a project summary including expected outcomes, objectives, milestones and timelines
- measures of success
- an overview of project risks
- a budget including quotes
Step 2. Fill out and submit the application form
Fill out and submit the form electronically through the online application portal during an active application intake period.
Additional program details
For more information on the program including eligibility, scoring criteria, funding parameters and the application and review process, please refer to the CARES program guidelines (PDF, 812 KB)
Successful grant recipients
See documents below for information on successful grant recipients, including an overview of each project and the total amount of funding received:
- Successful Applicants - Intake 1 (Oct 1 to Nov 30, 2016) (PDF, 219 KB)
- Successful Applicants - Intake 2 (April 1 to May 31, 2017) (PDF, 241 KB)
- Successful Applicants - Intake 3 (Oct 1 to Nov 30, 2017) (PDF, 99 KB)