Alberta Health Services (AHS) is responsible for managing all contracts for publicly funded continuing care services and, when needed, selects new providers/operators through a public tendering process.

If you have questions about receiving public funding to deliver continuing care services – home care, designated supportive living, long-term care – contact AHS’ Vendor Relations Office at [email protected].

There are a number of resource materials on the AHS website including the Vendor Guide to Doing Business with Alberta Health Services.

Home care providers

All publicly funded health care services and supports available to Albertans in their home are provided either directly by AHS or by external providers under contract to AHS. External providers work within a geographic area or a specific congregate living environment.

Supportive living operators

If you are planning to operate a supportive living accommodation you need to check with your municipal zoning authority, safety codes officer and public health unit to ensure your plans meet all the regulations and restrictions that may apply.

Supportive living operators who do not operate under contract with AHS are responsible for their own advertising and making their accommodation known to potential residents.


Supportive living accommodations must be licensed if they provide accommodation for 4 or more individuals, and provide or arrange for services related to safety and security, and offer or arrange for at least one meal a day or housekeeping services.

A new or renewal licence must be applied for if the accommodation:

  • is new or unlicensed – apply for an initial licence
  • has changed ownership – apply for an initial licence
  • has moved to a new location – apply for an initial licence
  • has an existing licence that is expiring – renew a licence

A licence can be granted after the application process is complete and the supportive living accommodation has been inspected for compliance with the Supportive Living Accommodation Standards.

Licensed supportive living operators can choose to list their sites in Alberta Health Services’ Continuing Care Facility Directory.

This directory displays information on all publicly funded continuing care sites and participating licensed supportive living accommodations. Interested operators can email [email protected]

Apply for a licence

Complete the Eligibility for Licensing Supportive Living Accommodation form and send it to the Accommodation Standards and Licensing office.

Your eligibility form will be reviewed to see if you need a licence, and if a licence is required, a Licence Application/Licence Renewal form will be sent to you.

The licence application form must be completed and submitted with:

  • confirmation of current corporate status of the supportive living accommodation operator(s)
  • confirmation of current insurance coverage, including at least $2 million in general liability
  • a copy of:
    • a recent environmental health inspection
    • zoning approval
    • safety code approval, that is, a building approval and or an occupancy permit for a new or renovated supportive living accommodation or most recent fire inspection report for pre-existing buildings

Renew your licence

Licence holders will automatically receive a licence renewal form before the current licence expires.

The renewal form must be completed and submitted with proof of liability insurance.

Appeal a licence decision

An accommodation operator who has been refused a licence or whose licence has been cancelled or suspended may have the right to appeal the decision.

For more information, contact:

Appeals Secretariat
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed 12 to 1 pm and statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-2709 
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-422-1088
Email: [email protected]

Long-term care operators

To be registered as a long-term care operator, AHS must first provide a service contract to the operator. The contract is then reviewed and approved by the Ministry of Health to complete the registration process.

If you are planning to operate a long-term care facility, you will also need to check with your municipal zoning authority, safety codes officer and public health unit to ensure that your plans meet all the regulations or restrictions that may apply.

Nursing homes and auxiliary hospitals are not licensed under the Supportive Living Accommodation Licensing Act. However, they are still required to follow the Long-Term Care Accommodation Standards.

The Accommodation Standards and Licencing Information Guide is a useful tool for operators in understanding both the supportive living and long-term care standards and how they are applied.

Reportable incidents

Becoming a continuing care provider or operator includes submitting all reportable incidents to the Ministry of Health. Reportable Incidents are those that breach the safety or security of a resident. The Reportable Incidents Decision Process will help operators determine if an incident is reportable.

Guides and forms


  • Accommodation Standards and Licensing Guide: A guide for operators related to both the supportive living and long-term care standards and how they are applied.
  • Supportive Living Accommodation Standards: The accommodation standards provide the standards for voluntary, public, and private organizations operating supportive living accommodations. The standards direct operators of supportive living accommodation in the delivery of quality accommodation services to residents.
  • Long-term Care Accommodation Standards: The purpose of the accommodation standards is to ensure that all long-term care accommodations maintain a high quality of accommodation services that promote the safety, security and quality of life for Albertans living in those accommodations. Operators of long-term care accommodation will also be able to provide assurances to residents, employees, the public and municipalities that their accommodations are operating in accordance with established accommodation standards.
  • Reportable Incidents Decision Process: A tool to help operators determine if an incident is reportable.


PDF form issues

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:

  1. Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
  2. Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.

If you are still having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.