COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
You can apply for child support as long as you have care and control over a child, even if you’re not their parent.
The amount of support you get is based on:
- each parent’s income
- a child’s needs
How to apply
Step 1. Gather your documents
The court will need your:
- complete tax returns from the past 3 years
- Notice of Assessment – a tax status form – from the past 3 years
- pay stubs or other proof of income for this tax year
- list of what you spend on special expenses, including receipts if possible
Step 2. Fill out the forms
Never married, divorce not started or common law
If the other parent lives in Alberta, fill out these forms:
- Claim - Family Law Act (PDF, 100 KB)
- Statement - Child Support (PDF, 100 KB)
- Affidavit of Service - Applicant (PDF, 100 KB)
If the other parent lives outside Alberta, check to see if they live in a reciprocating jurisdiction:
- if they do – complete an Interjurisdictional Support Order application
- If they don’t:
- contact a lawyer in that country
- file your claim with the court in the country where the other party lives
If you need to request the other parent’s financial information, fill out one of these forms:
- if your case is in Provincial Court, fill out the Request for Financial Information (PDF, 10 KB)
- if your case is in the Court of Queen’s Bench, fill out the Notice to Disclose/Application (PDF, 100 KB)
Divorce in progress in Alberta
Fill out these forms:
Step 3. File your claim
Do this at the same court, in the same location, where you’ve either:
- already been to court with the other parent
- started any court action that hasn’t gone to court
If you haven’t done either of these things, file your claim at any court in Alberta.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.