Apply for a Contact Order

You can apply for a Contact Order if you would like to have contact with the child and visit them, and you're not the child's guardian.


For a third party or a parent that’s not a guardian, a Contact Order:

  • sets out their allowed contact with the child – in-person visits, phone calls, letters, etc.
  • doesn’t give them responsibilities and rights over the child

How to apply

Step 1. Fill out the forms

Speak with a court forms information coordinator if you need assistance.

Step 2. File your order

Do this at the same court, in the same location, where you’ve either:

  • already been to court with the other party
  • started any court action that hasn’t gone to court

If you haven’t done either of these things, file your claim at any court in Alberta.

Note: If you don’t come to court, the judge may make an order in your absence.