Apply for spousal or partner support

How to apply for spousal and partner support.

Explore pages in:
Spousal or partner support


You can apply for spousal or partner support as long as you have care and control over a child, even if you’re not their parent.

How to apply

Step 1. Gather your documents

The court will need your:

  • complete tax returns from the past 3 years
  • Notice of Assessment – a tax status form – from the past 3 years
  • pay stubs or other proof of income for this tax year
  • list of your monthly expenses, including receipts if possible
  • list of all your assets and debts

Step 2. Fill out the forms

Never married, divorce not started or common law

If the other party lives in Alberta, fill out these forms:

If the other party lives outside Alberta, check to see if they live in a reciprocating jurisdiction:

  • if they do, complete an Interjurisdictional Support Order application
  • If they don’t:
    • file your claim with the court in the country where the other party lives
    • contact a lawyer in that country

Divorce in progress in Alberta

Fill out this form:

Step 3. File your claim

Do this at the same court, in the same location, where you’ve either:

  • already been to court with the other party
  • started any court action that hasn’t gone to court

If you haven’t done either of these things, file your claim at any court in Alberta.

Note: If you don’t come to court, the judge may make an order in your absence.