Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
The Soil Information Viewer assists land managers and producers in making general land management decisions. This resource tool allows users to query soil information from the Agricultural Region of Alberta Soil Inventory Database (AGRASID). AGRASID describes the distribution of soil types for the agricultural land base of Alberta.
The Alberta Soil Information Viewer:
- provides "user-friendly" soil landscape descriptions
- incorporates landscape images and a variety of spatial base layers including ortho photographs, Satellite Pour l’Observation de la Terre (SPOT) images, and ArcGIS Online base map services
- describes soil landscapes for land within the agricultural region ("white zone") of Alberta – approximately 26 million hectares (64 million acres)
- contains Seamless Geographic Information System (GIS) spatial data and relational data file
- offers elevation profiles from transects across the land
- is intended for representation at a scale of approximately 1:100 000
However, the Soil Information Viewer is not the sole source of soil information for detailed land management planning. Due to the inherent variability of soils within the landscape, site-specific evaluations for detailed site planning are necessary.
More detailed soil information is available for specific areas of the province in the form of scanned copies of soil survey reports and maps. Access this data and other resources here: Soil surveys by report number.
How to use the viewer
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.