COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
Created under the Police Act, ASIRT investigates Alberta police officers whose conduct:
- may have caused serious injuries
- may have caused death
- has led to serious or sensitive allegations of police misconduct, such as:
- breach of trust
- obstruction of justice
- sexual assault
Get the recent news releases and decisions on ASIRT investigations.
The province's director of law enforcement assigns ASIRT its files. ASIRT may be directed to:
- conduct an investigation
- take over an ongoing investigation
- review the investigation of a police agency
- oversee and provide direction on an investigation being conducted by a police agency
ASIRT's executive director decides – after consulting the Alberta Crown Prosecution Service – whether a police officer should be criminally charged.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.