Created under the Police Act, ASIRT investigates Alberta police officers whose conduct:
- may have caused serious injuries
- may have caused death
- has led to serious or sensitive allegations of police misconduct, such as:
- breach of trust
- obstruction of justice
- sexual assault
Get the recent news releases and decisions on ASIRT investigations.
The province's director of law enforcement assigns ASIRT its files. ASIRT may be directed to:
- conduct an investigation
- take over an ongoing investigation
- review the investigation of a police agency
- oversee and provide direction on an investigation being conducted by a police agency
ASIRT's executive director decides – after consulting the Alberta Crown Prosecution Service – whether a police officer should be criminally charged.