Cancel your health care card

How to cancel AHCIP coverage if you move outside Alberta or if an Alberta resident dies.

Explore pages in:

Moving out of Alberta

If you are leaving Alberta permanently, you must cancel your Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage. You can:

When you move to another province or territory, you are covered by the AHCIP for the month you leave and for the next 2 months.

You should apply for coverage in your new province or territory as soon as possible as most health insurance plans require a 3-month residency waiting period.


Inform the AHCIP office of a death of a family member who was registered with the AHCIP if they died outside of Alberta.

You will need to provide their full name, date of birth and date of death:

After you have notified us, the personal health care card of a deceased person should be discarded or destroyed in a secure manner.