Let us know before you go
Leaving Alberta for travel, studies, business or other reasons for an extended period of time may impact your Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage.
If you are not or will not be physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12-month period, contact the AHCIP office and let us know.
Emergency medical care and transportation can be expensive and AHCIP coverage is limited outside Alberta. Get additional medical travel insurance when travelling outside the province.
Temporary absence or travel
You can leave Alberta and keep your AHCIP coverage if:
- you are staying in another province or territory for less than 12 consecutive months
- you are staying outside Canada for less than 6 consecutive months
You must return to Alberta and maintain a permanent residence on the conclusion of your stay outside Alberta.
Repeated absences (Snowbirds)
You might be eligible for continued AHCIP coverage if you are away from Alberta for the purpose of vacation on a recurring basis, for up to 212 days in a 12-month period.
Contact the AHCIP office before you leave Alberta and when you return.
You might be eligible for AHCIP coverage for extended absences:
- 4 years (48 months) if you are away for work, business or missionary service
- 2 years (24 months) if you are away for travel, personal visits or educational leave (sabbatical)
- the time you are a full-time student at an accredited educational institution
Connect with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan office.