Let us know before you go

Leaving Alberta for travel, studies, business or other reasons for an extended period of time may impact your Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage.

If you are not or will not be physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12-month period, contact the AHCIP office and let us know.

Emergency medical care and transportation can be expensive and AHCIP coverage is limited outside Alberta. Get additional medical travel insurance when travelling outside the province.

Temporary absence or travel

You can leave Alberta and keep your AHCIP coverage if:

  • you are staying in another province or territory for less than 12 consecutive months
  • you are staying outside Canada for less than 6 consecutive months

You must return to Alberta and maintain a permanent residence on the conclusion of your stay outside Alberta.

Learn what is covered within Canada.

Learn what is covered outside Canada.

Repeated absences (Snowbirds)

You might be eligible for continued AHCIP coverage if you are away from Alberta for the purpose of vacation on a recurring basis, for up to 212 days in a 12-month period.

Contact the AHCIP office before you leave Alberta and when you return.

Extended absence

You might be eligible for AHCIP coverage for extended absences:

  • 4 years (48 months) if you are away for work, business or missionary service
  • 2 years (24 months) if you are away for travel, personal visits or educational leave (sabbatical)
  • the time you are a full-time student at an accredited educational institution


Alberta Health Care Insurance Regulation

Alberta Health Care Insurance Act


Connect with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan office.

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.