Health care coverage in Canada

Find out what health care services are covered by AHCIP in other provinces or territories.

Out-of-province health services

The Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) provides coverage for insured physician and hospital services elsewhere in Canada.

In most cases, if you present your valid Alberta health care card to an out of province medical or hospital service provider and receive insured services, there is no cost to you.

If AHCIP does not cover a service in Alberta, AHCIP will not cover it outside Alberta. You will only be reimbursed for services insured under the AHCIP.

Find out what services are covered.

Out-of-province surgery

If you choose to have elective (non-emergency) health services in another province or territory, coverage may be limited.

Before you book any elective health services outside of Alberta:

  • email the Out-of-Province Out-of-Country unit at [email protected]
  • talk to the facility where you are having your surgery to be clear about what will be billed to AHCIP and what you can expect to pay

AHCIP does not cover food, travel, accommodation or other costs related to obtaining health services outside Alberta.

Physician services outside Alberta

Alberta has reciprocal agreements with all provinces and territories, except Quebec, for insured physician services. If you visit a physician in Quebec, you may have to pay up front.

You can visit a physician in almost every province or territory and in most cases you will not have to pay up front for insured services.

Physicians outside Alberta will usually bill their own provincial health plan for insured services provided to you when you present your valid Alberta personal health care card. Physicians outside Alberta are not required to bill reciprocally, and may choose to bill you directly for their services.

Reimbursement for physician services

If you are required to pay up front for insured physician services, you can submit the receipt to AHCIP for reimbursement.

If you submit a claim to AHCIP, you will be reimbursed for only the amount that a physician would be paid in the province where the service was provided.

Hospital services outside Alberta

Alberta has reciprocal agreements with all provinces and territories for insured hospital services. You can get insured health services at any publicly funded or general hospital in Canada. In most instances, the bill will go straight to the AHCIP.

Private facilities

If you choose to have treatment at a private facility in another province or territory, you are responsible to pay the cost of physician services over the amount covered by the AHCIP.

You are also responsible to pay the facility fees, including laboratory services, MRIs and accommodation.

How to submit a claim

Learn how to submit an insured medical expense claim.