In 2021, Alberta exports of agricultural and food products were valued at a record $14.1 billion, up 8.5% from 2020.
Our branch provides the following services to Alberta companies:
- international connections
- international business support
- consulting on international marketing
- business facilitation
- market intelligence
- opportunity identification
- support for improvements in market access
- tools for profiling Alberta
- export readiness
- In 2021, the top 5 international markets for Alberta’s agri-food exports were the United States ($6.1 billion), China ($2.6 billion), Japan ($1.5 billion), Mexico ($697.7 million) and South Korea ($304.8 million). These accounted for 78.9% of the total. Browse Alberta companies that export to these and other markets.
- Alberta’s top 5 products in 2021 accounted for 67.4% of the total. These were beef ($3.5 billion), wheat ($2.4 billion), canola seed ($1.7 billion), crude canola oil ($1.1 billion) and oilseed cake and meal ($782.7 million). See our multilingual product brochures.
- Alberta’s food processors have access to the Food Processing Development Centre (FPDC), a 6,000 m2 state-of-the art facility with a commercial pilot plant, plus culinary and product development laboratories and sensory analysis capability.
- The Government of Alberta operates international offices in various locations in Asia, Southeast Asia, Europe and North America.
For more information on Alberta’s export market:
Agri-Food Export Catalogue
The Export Catalogue is now available online in an interactive platform. It will be updated throughout the year and no longer published in PDF or print versions.
The online Alberta Agri-Food Products and Services Export Catalogue features products and services that Alberta exports internationally. The Export Catalogue is designed specifically for importers, distributors and buyers located outside of Canada.
Find out how to add your product listing.
Export basics fact sheets
These fact sheets help companies prepare for export markets:
- International trade and logistics
- E-Commerce for exporters
- Meeting with buyers: be prepared for the meeting
- Costs of entering global markets
- Brokers and distributors: your partner in the market
- Listing fees or slotting allowances (pay-to-stay fees)
- Certificate of free sale
Connect with a trade development officer:
Email: [email protected]
Sign up for Market News
Our monthly e-newsletter highlights events, trade missions, project results and other news about international markets.
To subscribe to Market News, email us at: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.