Recreational access on PGRs

For an interactive map of the province with contact and condition information please see:

Grazing Reserves can be searched by name under the ‘Go to Location’ tab of the mapping tool by selecting the ‘Go to GRR’ button. A step-by-step guide on how to use the mapping tool is found at:

Recreational access project on PGRs

Several provincial grazing reserves are currently undertaking a project for making recreational access contact on provincial grazing reserves (PGRs) more efficient. They include:


  • Connor Creek
  • Jack Pine
  • Rocky Mountain House


  • Sage Creek
  • Bow Island
  • Pinhorn
  • Twin River
  • Onefour Research Ranch

To enter any of these PGRs, you must first email the relevant PGR office. See the Contact section below.

Information to provide

You must give them the following:

  • your name
  • the number of people you are requesting access for
  • your cellphone number
  • the licence plate number of the vehicle you will be using
  • the type of recreation you plan to do in the reserve

You will automatically receive a confirmation email outlining the conditions for accessing the PGR or research ranch.

Keep your confirmation email

You must bring your confirmation to the PGR or research ranch, either on an electronic device or as a hard copy. You must show your confirmation to an enforcement officer if you are asked to do so.

Otherwise, you could be charged under section 11(1) of the Recreational Access Regulation.

Personal information collection and use notification

The personal information you provide to Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) is collected under the authorization of Section 11 of the Recreational Access Regulation, and is being managed in accordance with Part 2 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Submission of name, cell phone number, email address, licence plate number and type of recreation is required for the purpose of accessing the provincial grazing reserve for recreational activities. The information being collected will be used by AEP in this regard and will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose without your consent by AEP.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact:

  • Southwest: Stewart McKay, Rangeland Manager (phone: 780 514-3417)
  • Southeast: Brian Olson, Rangeland Approvals Team Lead (email: [email protected])


To email and obtain written proof of contact on the project's grazing reserves or research ranch:


Connor Creek

Email: [email protected]

Jack Pine

Email: [email protected]

Rocky Mountain House

Email: [email protected]


Sage Creek

Email: [email protected]

Bow Island

Email: [email protected]


Email: [email protected]

Twin River

Email: [email protected]

Onefour Research Ranch

Email: [email protected]

Looking to access other grazing reserves?

Visit our Provincial grazing reserves – Contact information and maps page or visit our Recreational Access Mapping Tool website.