The following information resources are available for use by private water well owners and others interested in learning about Alberta’s Working Well program and how to protect and maintain water wells.
Regular updates on what is happening in the Working Well program.
The following fact sheets can be found at Working Well: Clean Water Protected.
- Issue 1 – Ten Ways to Protect Your Well and Groundwater Supply
- Issue 2 – Water Well Design and Construction
- Issue 3 – Shock Chlorinating Your Well
- Issue 4 – Plugging Your Well
- Issue 5 – Upgrading Your Well in a Pit
- Issue 6 – Over-pumping Your Well
- Issue 7 – Measuring Well Water Levels
- Issue 8 – Well Owner Responsibilities
- Issue 9 – Drilling a New Well
- Issue 10 – Private Sewage Systems
- Issue 11 – Gas in Your Water Well
- Issue 12 – Taking Water Samples
- Issue 13 – Maintaining Your Cistern
- Issue 14 – Water Treatment for Well Owners
- Issue 15 – Protecting Your Well From Disasters
- Issue 16 – Cross Connections and Your Well
- Issue 17 – Buying a Property with a Well
- Finding Your Well Report in the Alberta Water Well Information Database (YouTube)
- Decommissioning Water Wells in Alberta (YouTube)
- Hidden Waters (Inside Education)
- Shock Chlorination – Part 1 (YouTube)
- Shock Chlorination – Part 2 (YouTube)
- Taking Water Samples (YouTube)
- Draw your well: Example (PDF, 115 KB)
- Draw your well: Template – 200 feet (PDF, 96 KB)
- Draw your well: Template – 400 feet (PDF, 95 KB)
- Water Testing Log Sheet (PDF, 40 KB)
- Water Testing Log Sheet form (PDF, 37 KB)
- Well Management Log Sheet (PDF, 41 KB)
- Well Management Log Sheet form (PDF, 41 KB)
- Working Well Poster (PDF, 377 KB)
Well owner survey
On behalf of the Working Well program, the University of Alberta conducted a water well owner survey to learn more about the stewardship practices of private water well owners in Alberta, including factors that may encourage or discourage stewardship.
Read the report summarizing the survey findings and recommendations, prepared by the University of Alberta:
Contact Environment and Protected Areas Outreach Services to book a Working Well workshop or order copies of program resources. See:
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.