EMERGENCY: Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines. Learn more
The Supports for Permanency program provides financial support to families who adopt or obtain private guardianship of children under the age of 18 years in permanent government care.
Available financial supports include:
- full coverage of basic foster care maintenance rates
- up to $70 per week to help with the child’s emotional and behavioral needs
- respite care of up to 576 hours per year
- up to 10 counselling sessions per year
- treatment of a child in a residential facility for up to 12 months
- reimbursement for the cost of transporting a First Nations child to the child’s band to maintain cultural ties
The following are eligible for the program:
- all families who adopted or obtained private guardianship of a child in permanent government care after November 1, 2004
- parents who adopted a child between April 1, 1990 and November 1, 2004 and who have an “Acknowledgment of Special Needs” or a letter confirming the child has special needs
- adoptive parents and private guardians who currently have a Supports for Permanency agreement
Your family may also be eligible for additional services coordinated with the Family Support for Children with Disabilities (FSCD) program.
How to apply
Connect with Alberta Adoption Services with questions or comments.