Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) is responsible for approving all seismic exploration programs in Alberta under the following legislation.
Mines and Minerals Act
Part 8 of the Mines and Minerals Act outlines regulations for exploration.
- Mines and Minerals Act (Part 8)
Alberta Regulation 284/2006 regulates companies engaging in exploration of petroleum and natural gas projects governed by the Mines and Minerals Act.
- receives applications for proposed seismic exploration programs in Alberta
- approves applications under the legislation for all petroleum and natural gas seismic exploration
- oversees day-to-day operations
- ensures compliance with the legislation
While the regulation describes what the geophysical industry “must do” in its operations, directives explain “how to do”. Schedule 1 of Alberta's Exploration Regulation includes a list of 26 exploration directives. For more information see Exploration directives for geophysical activities.
Exploration restricted areas
Certain lands in Alberta have restrictions on seismic operations. A brief description of these areas can be found at Exploration restricted areas for geophysical industries.
Regulation and enforcement
To ensure compliance with legislation, AEP field staff conduct regular seismic crew inspections on:
- public land
- private land
- road allowances
Public lands field offices
Field offices are located throughout Alberta, where Forest Officers and Public Lands Officers oversee:
- project approval
- daily operations
- legislation compliance
Geophysical inspector program
The Land Management Branch in Edmonton develops provincial policy for exploration. Within the branch, the Exploration Unit runs the Geophysical Inspector Program which:
- oversees seismic operations on private land and road allowances
- acts as liaison for information regarding seismic operations
- helps find resolutions to complaints against the exploration industry
To connect with Environment and Parks Information Centre:
Main Floor, Forestry Building
9920 108 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2M4