COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
The Public Sector Compensation Transparency Act may apply to Alberta Public Service employees. The act requires salary and severance disclosure each year of Government of Alberta employees who earn above an annual established threshold amount.
Disclosure information is posted online twice per year:
- June 30 – salary and severance from January 1 to December 31 of the previous calendar year
- December 31 – severance from January 1 to June 30 of the current calendar year
Under the Public Sector Compensation Transparency Act, this disclosure applies to:
- deputy ministers
- senior officials appointed by an Order in Council and paid by the Government of Alberta
- employees within the offices of a minister, associate minister or the Premier
- employees as defined under the Government Organization Act
This data is also available in a number of open formats on the Alberta Open Government Portal
Employees may apply to be exempted from having their compensation disclosed only if this could unduly threaten their safety. There are no other grounds for granting exemptions.
What is disclosed
- Regular salary and earnings, paid in that calendar year.
- Cash benefits including earnings such as overtime, vacation payout, northern allowance, vehicle allowance and lump-sum payments.
- Non-cash benefits including the employer’s contributions to pension, medical and dental coverage, group life insurance and disability plans.
- Contracts of employment.
- Severance, which includes payments required by contract or in accordance with the Employment Standards Code when employment ends.
Legislation and regulations
- Public Sector Compensation Transparency Act
- Public Sector Compensation Transparency Dissolved Public Sector Bodies Regulation
- Public Sector Compensation Transparency General Regulation
- Government Organization Act
Public sector body compensation disclosure
Government agencies, boards and commissions are also required to disclose the compensation and severance paid to eligible employees, board members and appointees.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.