Status: The Choice in Education Act [Bill 15] received royal assent June 26, 2020
Ministry responsible: Education
The Choice in Education Act affirms that parents have the right to choose the kind of education they feel will be best for their children. The act strengthens Alberta's successful history of educational choice, including public and separate schools, Francophone schools, charter schools, independent (private) schools, early childhood education and home education.
More than 50,000 Albertans shared their views on education choice through our Choice in Education survey.
The Choice in Education Act amends the Education Act to:
- affirm that parents have the right to choose the kind of education they feel is best for their children
- support the creation of new charter schools, including vocation-focused charter schools
- protect the status of independent (private) schools
- provide a new option for parents who choose to homeschool their children
The Choice in Education Act took effect on September 1, 2020.
- Protecting choice in education (May 28, 2020)