The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a reciprocity agreement between Canada and the U.S. of which Alberta is a member. Prorate Services facilitates the IRP program in Alberta.
January 1, 2019 Electronic Cab Cards
- As of January 1, 2019, commercial carriers will be allowed to carry their Cab Cards and IFTA licenses in electronic format.
- Click here for more information
June 18, 2018 Incomplete Applications may be Rejected
- All forms must be complete with all required documents.
- Submit all forms and documents in one email.
- Please click here for more information and a list of the most common errors.
June 1, 2018 Updated Processing Times
Due to volume please prepare for the following
- New Fleets - May take longer than 5 business days
- Regular Supplements - Up to 5 business days
- Online Portal - Within one business days (excluding renewals)
- Renewals - May take longer than 5 business days
January 1, 2016 Operating charters in other jurisdictions
Notice to all Alberta based bus companies operating charter trips into other jurisdictions.
January 1, 2015 Full Reciprocity Plan
Full Reciprocity Plan (FRP)
Effective January 1, 2015 IRP is implementing the Full Reciprocity Plan (FRP). Under FRP, prorate clients will be granted full reciprocity for all prorated vehicles in all IRP jurisdictions. This change will simplify first time registrations and renewals, making it more efficient and flexible. All member jurisdictions will now be displayed on the cab card.
Prorate clients whose registration year begins prior to January 1, 2015 would be subject to the current Plan provisions until they renew.
For more details regarding prorate registration:
go to our Update page,
select the Q & A (pdf) bullet on the IRP Full Reciprocity Plan's website,
download the Alberta Prorate Information Guide(pdf), or
call the Alberta Prorate office at (403) 297-2920.
Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight
To see the allowable registered cab card weight go to the Maximum Allowable Registered Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) (pdf) chart. Please contact each jurisdiction directly for any extra requirements. You will find the jurisdiction directory and more weight information in the Alberta Prorate Information Guide.
The IRP web site http://www.irponline.org/ under "Jurisdiction Information" provides up to date GVW listings.
- Review, complete and submit one of the New Client Packages
- All prorated clients are required to have a Safety Fitness Certificate (SFC) with a "Federal" operating status. Contac toll free 310-0000 (403) 340-5444 for more information or go to http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/499.htm. First time registrants for vehicles with a weight of 11,794 kg or greater may obtain a sixty (60) day temporary SFC from a registry office. Clients registering a vehicle 4,501 - 11,793 kg must first contact Carrier Services to obtain the required application form and information. A registry agent can be searched on the Service Alberta web site http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1641.cfm or check your local yellow pages under "Licensing".
The minimum registered gross vehicle weight (GVW) requirement to register under IFTA is 11,797 or a unit with 3 or more axles regardless of weight. Carriers not belonging to IFTA should contact the respective jurisdictions for requirements. For further information about IFTA contact Alberta Finance at toll free 310-000 (780) 427-3044 or visit http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/tax_rebates/ifta/overview.html.
How long does it take to get prorate registration?
Processing a new prorate account may take up to five business days.
Is training available?
Prorate application training is available in Calgary, free of charge. Contact Prorate Services to arrange for an appointment. Assistance is always available over the phone during business hours.
A training video that instructs clients on the importance of record keeping can be found on the IRP web site. http://www.irponline.org/?page=TrainingVideo
Business hours: 8:15 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm Monday thru Friday (except holidays).
To call toll-free in Alberta dial 310-0000, then (403) 297-2920.
Phone: (403) 297-2920
Fax: (403) 297-2917
1st Floor, 803 Manning Road NE
Calgary, AB T2E 7M8
Some documents (pdf) on this site require Acrobat Reader 10.0 or better, available for free from Adobe.