- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
The SafeRoads portal is an online system that allows police and Albertans real time access to their Immediate Roadside Sanctions, vehicle seizure information and resolution options.
Payment for SafeRoads Alberta related fees and fines must be made through the SafeRoads portal. At this time, you cannot process payments at a Registry Agent or at a courthouse.
Pay your fine
The total amount of your Notice of Administrative Penalty fine includes the fine amount, Alberta’s victim fine surcharge, and applicable fees.
A victim fine surcharge is a fine imposed on a person convicted of an offence or who commits a contravention under provincial laws. These funds are used to provide programs, services and assistance to victims of crime and to fund public safety initiatives to deter crime and reduce victimization.
To make a fine payment through the SafeRoads portal, you will need:
- your last name
- your date of birth
- the contravention number found on your notice
- the time of occurrence as it appears on the notice
- a valid credit card (VISA Credit, VISA Debit, Mastercard Credit, Debit Mastercard, American Express)
At this time, SafeRoads Alberta cannot accept Interac Online for payment. Please contact your banking institution for information about products such as Visa Debit or Debit Mastercard.
Request more time to pay
You can submit a request for more time to pay your Notice of Administrative Penalty fine any time before the due date listed on your notice.
- Your first request will immediately extend your payment due date by an additional 90 days.
- Your second and final request requires supporting information and approval by SafeRoads Alberta and approval is not guaranteed. If approved, your payment due date will be extended an additional 180 days.
Partial payment of fines
Partial fine payments can be accepted by the SafeRoads portal.
- minimum of $100 payment
- if the remaining balance is $100 or less, you must pay the entire remaining balance
- no other restrictions; for example, you can pay $100 or $101 or $113.56, or the full amount of the fine
The due date and amount owing for your fine can be found on your Notice of Administrative Penalty and in your notice details in the SafeRoads portal. You have 90 days to pay from the date your notice was issued, if you need more time, you can request more time to pay through the SafeRoads portal.
If you do not pay your fine by the due date:
- a restriction of motor vehicle services will be put on your file
- your fine will eventually be transferred to the Fines Enforcement Program for collection
Once your fine is overdue, you cannot request more time to pay.
Contravention Not Yet Available
If your contravention details are pending (not yet submitted), the SafeRoads portal will display the following message:
- The details of this contravention have not yet been added to the system. It will be available within 48 hours.
Contravention Not Found
If the contravention number entered is invalid, the Contravention Number field will be highlighted red and the SafeRoads portal will display the following message:
- The details provided did not find a match.
To connect with SafeRoads Alberta: