Using the Aerial Photographic Record System (APRS)
Search online using Aerial Photographic Record System (APRS). APRS is the online program that is used to find photographic projects covering a specific area. See the aerial photography overview for help to select the right photos for your needs.
To complete a search:
- Click on the map or enter an address or the legal land description in the search box. If using the legal land description, enter the values starting with the Quarter and followed by the Section, Township, Range and Meridian. Example: SE-34-050-23-W4
- A list of projects will appear with links to flight index maps.
- Select the project that matches the scale and years that you are interested in ordering.
- Open the zip file containing the flight index map.
- Locate your legal land description on the flight index map and select the photo center closest to your site/location. In most cases, only every fifth center is identified on the index map, the intermediate photo centres are not usually numbered. You can find your legal land description by turning on the Alberta Township System layer from the Layer List in the upper left corner of the APRS map.
- Determine the roll number (usually located in the legend block or at the beginning or end of the flight lines or on the flight line). The roll number has prefix of 2-4 characters, for example: "AS", "TRSG", "ED".
- For more information, read the “README File” contained in the zip file for each flight index map.
Products and pricing
Scans of aerial photographs are available digitally. The digital files are not georeferenced and are not corrected for distortion. We deliver images in a TIFF or MrSID file format. Physical prints and enlargements are also available.
|Product description||Price per item|
|Custom scanning (special instructions or enlargement)||$25.00|
|Scan of Alberta Photogrammetric Control Points (1980's 1:60,000 limited selection)||$10.00|
|Camera Calibration Report||$5.00|
|Certified Copy (physical copy only)||$25.00|
|Laser Print of Enlargement||$20.00|
Place your order and order processing
Once we have processed your order, we will send you a payment link through the Government Payment Application Service. Once payment has been received, you will receive an email with a link to your images.
Regular orders will be processed within 5 business days while custom orders can take up to 10 business days for processing.
Electronic delivery of products is free. Additional charges may apply for physical delivery.
Note that the Air Photo Library is open by appointment only. For general queries, product orders or appointment bookings, contact us:
Air Photo Library
2nd Floor East, Muriel Stanley Venne Provincial Centre
12360 142 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5L 2H1
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.