Office of Statistics and Information (OSI)
This office plans, consolidates, develops and promotes Alberta's demographic, economic and social statistics.
As the Government of Alberta's official statistics agency, the OSI collects and manages the following statistics and provides other statistical links and resources:
- Economic statistics
- Population statistics
- Social and community statistics
- Geographic and geospatial statistics
- Census of Canada highlights
- Statistics links and resources
Quarterly Population Estimates
Table 1. Quarterly population estimates
|Location||Population Estimates as of January 1, 2018|
Consumer Price Index (CPI)
All-items (Unadjusted 2002=100)
Table 2. Consumer Price Index (CPI)
|Location||% change, March 2018
to April 2018
|% change, April 2017
to April 2018
Unemployment Rate (unadjusted)
Table 3. Unemployment Rate (unadjusted)
|Location||March 2018||April 2018|
Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by Expenditure
Table 4. Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by Expenditure
|Location||GDP in 2016 (Millions of chained
2007 Canadian Dollars)
(2015 to 2016)
Items are removed from this list after 3 months and listed on relevant web pages in this section.
* Open data licensed under Alberta’s Open Government Licence
** Not open – see PDF for metadata risk considerations, data source and contact information
- Consumer Price Index, Year-Over-Year Percentage Change, Canada/Alberta (May 18, 2018) *
- Income Support Caseload, Alberta (May 10, 2018) *
- Preliminary Total Housing Starts in Alberta’s Major Urban Centres (May 8, 2018) *
- Women in Alberta: Education (May 7, 2018) *
- Heavy Crude Oil Reference Prices, Monthly (PDF, 182 KB), or CSV format (9 KB) (May 7, 2018) **
- Light Crude Oil Reference Prices, Monthly (PDF, 179 KB), or CSV format (4 KB) (May 1, 2018) **
- Successful Wells Drilled, Alberta (PDF, 152 KB) or CSV format (49 KB) (May 1, 2018) **
- Average Weekly Earnings (including overtime), Alberta (April 26, 2018) *
- Women in Alberta: Population (April 9, 2018) *
- 2016 Census of Canada Highlights: Labour (March 29, 2018) *
- Alberta Quarterly Demographic Statistics - 2017 4th Quarter (PDF, 475 KB) and updated Data Tables: Alberta Components of Growth by Quarter (XLSX, 157 KB) and Alberta Quarterly Population Estimates (XLSX, 15 KB) (March 22, 2018) *
About the OSI
The OSI is Alberta's statistical agency and a Statistical Focal Point for Statistics Canada. Our mandate is to plan, promote, consolidate and develop social and economic statistics relating to Alberta. We develop and analyze:
- social, demographic and economic statistics
- geospatial statistics on social and economic issues
We also provide:
- analytical and data support to government ministries
- information to the public
Governing legislation and privacy
The Office of Statistics and Information Act (the Act) and its associated regulation affirms the OSI as the Government of Alberta’s official statistics agency. The OSI is authorized to collect personal information, either on its own or jointly with another party by conducting surveys and censuses.
Collection of personal information
The Act has provisions for protecting personal information and penalties for offences.
Most personal information used by the OSI will be an indirect collection from:
- other Government of Alberta ministries and agencies
- government departments and statistical agencies in other jurisdictions
The Act authorizes the OSI to enter into agreements to collect and disclose information, so the OSI may disclose information to these same parties.
Information and privacy
The OSI’s privacy practices comply with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.
The OSI’s practices are also affected by other provincial and federal privacy legislation concerning the public sector and private sector.
Provincial statistical focal point
The OSI represents Alberta to the Statistics Canada Federal-Provincial-Territorial Consultative Council on Statistical Policy.
- identifies Government of Alberta (GoA) statistical needs
- communicates as one government with one voice to the Consultative Council
- coordinates GoA representation on the Consultative Council's subcommittees through the GoA Statistics Council
See the Statistics links and resources page for links to other Provincial and Territorial Statistical Focal Points.
About Alberta statistics
Alberta statistics are generally produced by a government body and are:
- publicly available facts
- summarized data about a subject, or
- other information
Some Alberta statistics are deemed ‘Official Statistics’ where:
- there are multiple data sources
- there is a lack of consensus or understanding about which source should be used
- one data source is deemed ‘official’ and this is the data source that should be used in most cases
- potential users are informed about which data source to use for specific purposes
The OSI publishes both Alberta Statistics and Official Statistics. The majority of the Official Statistics are stored in the Open Government Portal. There are no technical or legal restrictions for using open data.
Sign up for updates
For Government of Alberta employees
Government of Alberta employees may access additional data and statistical information products, resources and features.
Ryan Mazan, Chief Statistician/Director
Office of Statistics and Information
General OSI enquiries
Hours: 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Monday to Friday, closed from noon to 1 p.m. and statutory holidays)
Toll-free in Alberta: 310-0000 before the phone number
Contact the Treasury Board and Finance Spokesperson.