Applications for the 2022/23 Minister’s Parent Advisory Council are now open. The deadline to apply has been extended to August 15, 2022.
The Minister’s Parent Advisory Council (MPAC) brings together 40 parents and guardians with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to engage with the Minister of Education on issues, concerns and opportunities affecting schools and education in Alberta.
The advisory council:
- offers parent/guardian input on education priorities with perspectives from across the province – for example, rural and urban, school authority or learning delivery type, cultural origins, language, Francophone, First Nations, Métis and Inuit, socio-economic backgrounds, and experience within the education system
- fosters open and respectful direct dialogue between the Minister of Education and Alberta parents/guardians
- identifies and discusses issues and challenges faced by parents/guardians
- enhances the government's ability to understand and serve the growth needs of schools and schooling in Alberta
- informs parents/guardians about key ministry priorities and raises their awareness of changes taking place in the education system
The advisory council consists of 40 parents and guardians and is diverse in gender, geographical location, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, socio-economic background, experience within the education system and parental status to reflect Alberta schools and their communities.
Each member is selected to serve one 10-month term aligned with the school year. Typically, the advisory council meets 4 times during a term. Meetings are held outside of work hours and are usually 5 to 6 hours in duration over 2 business days or a weekend.
Parents and guardians in Alberta are able to apply online if they meet the following criteria:
- have one or more children in Alberta’s Kindergarten to Grade 12 education system as of September 1, 2022
- Alberta resident
To apply for the advisory council:
- read the fact sheet carefully to understand the roles and responsibilities of members
- complete the online application package
The deadline to apply has been extended to August 15, 2022.
Alberta’s government is committed to diversity, inclusion and equity, and to a fair and unbiased recruitment and selection process.
After the application deadline, Alberta Education will review and evaluate the applications. Applicants who are selected to proceed to the interview stage will be contacted.
Connect with MPAC:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.