Metis Settlements Protocol Agreement and Statement of Intent – March 29, 2023
On March 29, 2023, the Metis Settlements General Council (MSGC) and Government of Alberta signed a Protocol Agreement to solidify their shared commitment to the long-term sustainability and success of the Metis Settlements. A Statement of Intent on enhanced community policing for the eight Metis Settlements was also signed.
More information can be found in this news release and in the corresponding agreements below.
- Constitution of Alberta Amendment Act, 1990
- Metis Settlements Act
- Metis Settlements Land Protection Act
- Metis Settlements Accord Implementation Act
The original Co-Management Agreement (CMA) was signed by the Minister of Energy, the 8 Metis Settlements, and the MSGC in 1990.
The CMA established the processes for sub-surface mineral exploration on the Metis Settlements.
Alberta maintained ownership of mines and minerals but the CMA allowed the Settlements to negotiate:
- a royalty with an oil and gas development company with a secured mineral lease under Metis Settlement lands
- an equity participation with the successful bidder on a mineral lease up to 25% in any development
The following amendments were made to the CMA in May 2013:
- The opportunity for a 100% owned Metis Settlement Corporation to secure a direct purchase from Alberta Energy and Minerals for a mineral lease, outside of the public offering process.
- The right of a 100% owned Metis Settlement Corporation to bid on public offering mineral leases.
- The requirement for benefits proposals, which describe the benefits that the operator proposes to the Metis Settlement, as part of an operator’s bid in the public offering process.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.