Services and information
- Change or cancel your application
If your address changes, or you need to change or cancel your application, you must update information in the IQAS application portal.
- How IQAS completes assessments
IQAS assessments are done on an individual basis and include a process with quality assurance measures.
- How to apply
Follow these steps to apply for an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes.
The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) is an Alberta government service that issues certificates comparing credentials from other countries to Canadian education standards. IQAS is designated by the Government of Canada to provide Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for Express Entry. An ECA may be used in Express Entry for 5 years.
- An ECA will not be issued if your credentials cannot be authenticated and/or are from an educational institution/program that is not recognized. IQAS will let you know that your application has been cancelled.
- An ECA may not result in an outcome you want for an Express Entry application. Your credentials are compared to Canadian education standards, which can be different from those in the country where you were educated.
- IQAS receives a high volume of applications and does not provide rush services. All applications are processed in the order they have been received.
- An ECA will not be issued within shorter timelines to meet your deadlines. You are responsible for applying early enough to meet any deadlines you may have.
ECA Process – Quick View
|Gather your documents to apply.|
|Complete application online and mail application package by post. Monitor delivery through courier.||IQAS sends you an email confirming we opened your package. Note: It takes time to process mail, so it could take several weeks for IQAS to email you.|
|Request your official transcripts from your school.||IQAS emails you after receiving all transcripts.|
|Note: Processing time starts after all required documents, transcripts, and payments are received. Applications currently take 15 weeks to process.|
|IQAS completes your assessment. Note: You will receive an electronic copy of your assessment, and a hard copy by mail.|
|Submit your assessment to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with your file number.|
See the ECA Process infographic (PDF, 74 KB)
Who can apply
You can get an assessment for immigration purposes if you:
- plan to immigrate to Canada
- need an ECA for Canadian immigration purposes, and have a formal academic diploma or degree, or a technical diploma or degree from an institution outside of Canada
If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you do not need to get an ECA for that credential.
Why get an assessment
The ECA is for formal academic / technical education.
An ECA issued by IQAS:
- is valid for Express Entry for 5 years
- can be used for immigration to any province/territory in Canada
- does not mean that your credentials are automatically recognized for licensure in Canada
- does not guarantee a job or successful immigration application; but, if you are successful with your immigration application, this assessment may also be used when applying for jobs
Application fee (regardless of the number of credentials): $200
- to an address in Canada: $15
- to an address outside of Canada: $75
Fees apply to each applicant. Spouses cannot submit their credentials under one application even if they reside at the same household.
- On average, an assessment takes about 15 weeks to process after all required documents, transcripts, and payments are received.
- Processing times take longer if extensive research or verification is required.
- Processing times will increase with higher volumes of applications. Currently IQAS is receiving a very high volume of applications.
- Mail delivery time is not included in the processing time.
- Applicants are responsible for applying early enough to meet any deadlines they may have. IQAS does not provide rush services.