IQAS assessment for immigration purposes
To immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker, you will need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for education received outside of Canada.
The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) is an Alberta government service. IQAS is designated by the Government of Canada to provide Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) assessments for immigration purposes. An ECA issued by IQAS can be used for the Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program under Express Entry for 5 years.
IQAS does assessments and issues certificates that compare credentials from other countries to educational standards in Canada.
ECA Process – Quick View
|Gather your documents to apply.|
|Complete application online and mail application package by post. Monitor delivery through courier.||IQAS sends you an email confirming we opened your package. Note: It takes time to process mail, so it could take a few weeks for IQAS to email you.|
|Request your official transcripts from your school.||IQAS emails you after receiving and verifying all transcripts.|
|Note: Processing time starts after all documents are received. Applications currently take 12 weeks to process.|
|IQAS completes your assessment. Note: You will receive an electronic copy of your assessment, and a hard copy by mail.|
|Submit your assessment to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with your file number.|
Who can apply
You can get an assessment for immigration purposes if you’re:
- planning to immigrate to Canada, and
- in need of an ECA for Canadian immigration purposes
If you have a formal academic / technical diploma / degree from an institution outside of Canada you can apply.
If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you do not need to get an ECA for that credential.
Why get an assessment
The ECA is for formal academic / technical education.
An ECA issued by IQAS:
- is valid for Express Entry for five years
- can be used for immigration to any province/territory in Canada
- does not mean that your credentials are automatically recognized for licensure in Canada
- does not guarantee a job or successful immigration application; but, if you are successful with your immigration application, this assessment may also be used when applying for jobs
Application fee (regardless of the number of credentials): $200
- to an address in Canada: $15
- to an address outside of Canada: $75
Fees apply to each applicant; spouses cannot submit their credentials under one application.
- An assessment takes 12 weeks to process after all required documents and payments are received.
- Assessment of some applications may take longer if extensive research is required.
- Times may vary based on the volume of applications.
- Mail delivery time is not included in the processing time.