IQAS assessment for employment, education or licensure

If you plan to work or study, you can get an assessment that compares your credentials to educational standards in Canada.

Explore pages in:
IQAS for employment, education or licensure

Note: This type of assessment cannot be used for immigration purposes. Find out how to get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for Canadian immigration purposes.


The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) is an Alberta government service. It completes assessments and issues certificates that compare educational credentials from other countries to educational standards in Canada.

In Canada, some occupations are regulated and have legal requirements. To work in these occupations, you must register with the appropriate professional regulatory organization.

Read more about foreign qualification recognition.

Who can apply

You can get an assessment if you have a formal academic or technical degree, diploma or certificate earned outside Canada.

IQAS does not assess:

  • anything below secondary or high school level – for example, primary or elementary level
  • non-academic credentials  – for example, Microsoft Excel training
  • credentials issued by professional regulatory bodies
  • professional qualifications – for example, chartered accountant designation
  • vocational or trades training – for example, diesel mechanics program
  • credentials obtained in Canada

In addition, IQAS does not let you know if your credentials will be recognized, or what the results of your assessment will be before you apply. This can only be determined after you apply, and an assessment is completed.

Why get an assessment

You can use an IQAS assessment to support your:

  • job search
  • professional licensure application
  • post-secondary education application