Highway 40 is major industrial, tourism and recreation corridor, transporting services to communities north of the Yellowhead Highway. As the Grande Prairie region develops, particularly south of the city, industrial and commuter traffic continues to increase.
The Highway 40 twinning project began in 2021. It includes 19 km of twinning between Grande Prairie and south of the Norbord Wood Panel Plant, bridge and intersection improvements, LED lighting upgrades and a second bridge with a pedestrian walkway, over the Wapiti River. This work adds critical highway infrastructure that will enhance economic development and make travelling in this area safer and more enjoyable.
Construction on approximately 10 km between the City of Grande Prairie and south of Township Road 700 will begin in early 2023. Twinning an approximately 9-km section between the City of Grande Prairie and Highway 666 began in 2021.
This work will include:
- 10 km of twinning (City of Grande Prairie to south of Township Road 700)
- grading and paving
- roundabout at Township Rd 700
- concrete girder bridge over Weyerhaeuser Haul Road
- median vehicle inspection station
- bridge culvert
- slide remediation
- Highway 40 twinning project announced
- Construction begins on Phase 1
- Tender posted for Phase 2
- Construction completed on Phase 1 (fall)
- Construction begins on Phase 2 (spring)
- Construction completed on Phase 2 complete (fall)
Twinning the highway will make travel in this region safer and more efficient while also supporting tourism, and industry supply chains.
- Highway 40 twinning moves to next stage (September 29, 2022)
- Highway 40 construction will delay traffic (July 16, 2021)
- Highway 40 widening creates jobs, improves highways (June 30, 2020)
- Cost-sharing agreement in place to twin Highway 40 (February 20, 2020)
- Highway 40 Planning Study
Connect with Alberta Transportation and Economic Corridors’ Peace Region Office:
Alberta Transportation and Economic Corridors
1st Floor, Room 102, Provincial Building
9621 96 Avenue
Peace River, Alberta T8S 1T4
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.