Highway 19 is a 12-kilometre, 2-lane, high-volume, high load corridor connecting Highway 60 and Highway 2 near Edmonton. It is a critical route that supports continued economic growth in the capital region. About 10,000 vehicles travel on Highway 19 each day.
Twinning of Highway 19, between the QEII and Highway 60, has 3 phases:
- Phase 1 (East section) – Twinning between the QEII and Range Road 253
- Completed in September 2019.
- Phase 2 (West section) – Construction will begin in spring 2021 on twinning 3.5 kilometres, from Highway 60 to Range Road 261
- Phase 3 (Middle section) – Twinning between Range Road 261 and Range Road 253
- Planning for twinning between Range Road 253 and Range Road 261 was completed in March 2018.
- Detailed design, utility relocation, land acquisition and environmental permitting activities are proceeding.
Phase 2 (West section) project details
The west phase of the project will include 3.5 kilometres of twinning of Highway 19 from Highway 60 to Range Road 261, grade widening on Highway 60 and multiple intersection improvements.
Construction will begin in spring 2021 and is anticipated to be completed by fall 2022, weather and progress dependent.
These improvements will help:
- improve traffic safety
- reduce congestion and delay
- expand the highway’s capacity
- accommodate current and future growth
Breaking ground on Highway 19 west twinning (March 29, 2021)
For more information on the Highway 19 Project, contact Alberta Transportation: